1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open University MUSIC Pgce - Advice from anyone who has completed this.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Estellia, Nov 21, 2010.

1. Hello,

I've been searching this forum trying to find information on the Open University PGCE, but in the end thought I'd just post.

I would really appreciate some feedback from someone who has done the course. I am trying to plan for the future and to get a grasp on how much time it's likely to take.

1. In the handbook it says the Needs Analysis and 10 day placement can take 3-4 months..
    This seems very slow to me for what is involved. I'm hoping to do my needs analysis in 2 weeks, have my tutor meeting and go immediately to my 10 day placement which is already agreed with a school. Is this realistic?

2. Is it possible to complete the assessment portfolios while doing the school placements?

3. How much time will I need to leave between school placement to carry out the 'up to 120 hours' of module study?

I have already completed a masters so I am able to be very focused. I am hoping to to just throw myself into it and get it completed as quickly as possible. I turned down work as I thought I'd be starting in September, so I'm starting to suffer financially, and just want to complete the course as quickly and efficiently as possible, so I can get back to earning money.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

2. Hello,

I've been searching this forum trying to find information on the Open University PGCE, but in the end thought I'd just post.

I would really appreciate some feedback from someone who has done the course. I am trying to plan for the future and to get a grasp on how much time it's likely to take.

1. In the handbook it says the Needs Analysis and 10 day placement can take 3-4 months..
    This seems very slow to me for what is involved. I'm hoping to do my needs analysis in 2 weeks, have my tutor meeting and go immediately to my 10 day placement which is already agreed with a school. Is this realistic?

2. Is it possible to complete the assessment portfolios while doing the school placements?

3. How much time will I need to leave between school placement to carry out the 'up to 120 hours' of module study?

I have already completed a masters so I am able to be very focused. I am hoping to to just throw myself into it and get it completed as quickly as possible. I turned down work as I thought I'd be starting in September, so I'm starting to suffer financially, and just want to complete the course as quickly and efficiently as possible, so I can get back to earning money.

Any thoughts much appreciated.

3. singstarcool

singstarcool New commenter

Hi, I completed my OU PGCE about 5 years ago. Because I had other teaching experience I was able to miss out the first teaching experience and after the needs analysis go straight to the longer placements. I did complete the study in the gap between my needs analysis and placements but you will have to tweak it in the light of your experiences at school. In all, I started with my needs analysis in the October and completed the course and was registered with the GTC by the following May.
    Hope this helps

4. Estella, i too have had problems searching for info on this course, I have no feedback for you Im afraid but I am hoping you maybe able to help me. I would like to get onto the course and have my interview next month, I wondered if you may be able to shed any light to the open uni interview presentation and tests, I studied music technology so am worried about the contents of the subject knowledge test as they may not relate to my subject. I wondered if you could help me by advising what sort of questions these might be? Music history, theory etc. and If there is anything else I should be worried about or can do to prepare. I would very much appreciate your help as its impossible to find information.

5. Hello bekad,

I'm afraid I can't remember clearly, as I also did an interview for a regular university, and I got both.

What I can say is the initial the interview for the regular university was much more rigourous including aural tests, detailed subject knowledge interview etc - but that is because if you pass that, then it you're on the course, and that's it.

The process with the OU is longer and more convoluted, the initial interview is just the start of the process, then you have to find a school and then be interviewed by the school as well, and after that a final processing of both interviews by the subject leaders before a final and definite offer of a place is given. Exhausting!

In my case there were around eight of us at the initial interview, all going to study different subjects, so there wasn't a great pressure on our subject knowledge apart from the part where you give a presentation to everyone in your subject area. I think they put a heavier emphasis on the applicant proving their abilities in their application, so if you are invited to interview they are already pretty happy with your abilities. That's my impression. Also the fact that the initial interview is not a final guarantee, that you then have to have the school interview and have it all assessed..

Well I hope this helps, I empathise with you on not being able to find information, I was very much in the same boat. All I can say is I did study with them before and I found the course excellent, so I am hoping after this extremely long procedure to get up and running, it will be as brilliant as the last course I did.

Wishing you all the best of luck

6. Hi Bekad,

I hope it went well. I have my interview next month and hoped you could share some of your experience of the OU interviewing process?

Thanks in advance

Eutere

7. Hi, I completed my PGCE through the Open University. You need to be highly organised it was quite full as you are very much on your own between placements. The demands of the PGCE course offered by the OU in Secondary music was very detailed and a lot of work with very high expectaions from my tutor. The amount of work I produced for this was far greater in comparison to other music teachers I know who did PGCE's at a university or a GTP scheme. I am not saying this is always the case but the course will give you a very good grounding.
    The length of the course varies. It is supposed to be flexible to an extent. You can complete your needs analysis quickly if you complete it full time rather than one or two days a week etc for x amount of weeks.
    I organised all my partner schools If they are OU approved this is better if you arrange your placements you can push them through and chase the OU other PGCE students you meet on their courses had periods where they were waiting for a school.
    The course module study is very demanding, you need all the course textbooks they reccomend and try and keep on top of it. It is essentially based on Gary Spruce texts where you summarise, make tables, answer questions, try things out during school experience.
    The assessment portfolios are completed at the end of the placement and you get two or three weeks before submitting to the tutor. These need completing at the end as some of the tasks/assignmnets relate to things from your placement and require quotes from the module work studied.
    It is essential your mentor HOD is efficient. The head of music will be very busy so you would want to arrange the mentor meetings yourself and perhaps the agenda. You may want to complete your SDP form as you go along and record the evidence so your mentor can read it, see the evidence is in place so they can just sign it.
    Let me know if you want to know anything else but the length of the course is in your hands.

8. Hi Euture,

I found the interview quite hardcore as there was only 2 of us there so the pressure was on a little bit.It was broken up into 2 parts. First they checked our certificates then gave us a written test entitled "why should pupils learn your subject". It was 200-300 words, they use it to test your English and writing skills. Next was a subject specific written test, it asked you 5 -6 questions about your abilities and ideas for teaching your subject. Next they gave you 2 newspaper articles to read and make comments on, these would be discussed later with the tutors.

The second part of the interview was held by 2 OU tutors, first we gave our presentations and they asked us questions about the material so make sure you really know what your presenting and be prepared for difficult questions if they know your subject, then we discussed the newspaper articles and they ask you individual questions about your thoughts and opinions. Finally there is an opportunity for you to ask the tutors questions about the course. I arrived at 9.30am and left at 1.30pm so there was a lot to get through. I thought I did O.K and today I found out today I'm through to the next stage so as long as your prepared you should be fine.

9. Thanks for your information it was very helpful. I got through so am now wondering how long it will take me to get a school placement and what financial support I'm entitled too as they advise that since the prospectus was published the status has changed from full time to part time for the use of student finance, don't know if this means I'll be entitled to the bursary or student loan, I'll have to wait and see I guess. I hope your course is going well, Im very eager to start mine but I have to be allocated a school first. Good luck

10. Hi,
    I am also thinking of applying to the OU to do a Music PGCE. This thread is really useful! Can anyone tell me how you actually apply for the course? I've been going round and round the website for hours, but it's not very helpful! I'm probably being a bit dim....

thanks
    Barbara

11. You print off an application form and post it in with a payment of £15. You can find the form in the PGCE prospectus.