1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open source database for ubuntu

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by Doggsy, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Hi,

My school is an open source school using ubuntu and open office. This works fine most of the time but we are really finding it difficult to complete the IGCSE skills as open office base isn't as good as access and doesn't import the CSV files correctly or allow us to do certain things on the reports.

Does anybody else use ubuntu and have found a better database package?

Thanks

2. Hi,

My school is an open source school using ubuntu and open office. This works fine most of the time but we are really finding it difficult to complete the IGCSE skills as open office base isn't as good as access and doesn't import the CSV files correctly or allow us to do certain things on the reports.

Does anybody else use ubuntu and have found a better database package?

Thanks

3. nathanielbrown

nathanielbrown New commenter

Have you had a look at phpMyAdmin or MySQL workbench (http://www.mysql.com/downloads/workbench/).
    I've used both of them before although not in a teaching environmnet.
    Otherwise the other tools I found using http://www.osalt.com/access
    are:
    http://www.kexi-project.org/
    and
    http://www.glom.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

4. I haven't looked at them, thanks for all the ideas. The annoying thing is some of the programs can do some things but not one so far is easily usable for IGCSE and covers all the skills needed.

5. As a developer of educational software I use open source whenever it is the best tool for the job. I use NetBeans as my IDE, InkScape to design icons etc.

But I don't get religious about it. When I needed a simple standalone customer database, I found out fairly quickly that OOo Base was far too unreliable, mySQL is to much work to set up (I use it to run my website, but it isn't a good fit on the desktop), etc. In the end I just paid my £100 and bought Access. Half a day creating the tables and forms, then I could get on with my work.

If you are using mainly open source, you are doing pretty well, and saving money which can be better spent on other things. But there are some applications where there just isn't a good OS solution - no big company is putting money into it (a la Open Office), and the task is too difficult/time consuming/boring for group of independent developers to make progress.

And it isn't going top do your students any harm to have some exposure to MS Office, it is still quite popular in the workplace.

6. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

We went open office for a while at my place, but the stark cold reality is that there is no user friendly option that is going to let your students get their heads round dbases other than access at this moment in time IMO.

7. I would add that even access to Access won't help most students get their heads around databases. At KS3 and 4 Base is your least bad option (as far as I can see), and some form of SQL would be a good way to tackle things post 16 if you really want them to 'get' it. Sadly the exam boards are all geared up for Access, Access and more Access...

8. I know this thread has been dormant for a while, still.
    I run both OOo and MS2003. OOo is a pain when your trying to do things like parameter queries, and linking queries to forms etc, but both the students who used OOo got A*s last year in GCSE so it is possible. I ended up adding quite a few commentsto the moderator mentioning that the methods used were the most appropriate way of completing the tasks (just to be on the safe side). However I'm lucky, I teach some very smart kids who can cope with this kind of thing, and I would think twice about adopting this method for other pupils.
    One huge benifit that I love about OOo is that all the front ends intergrate so well. How long would It take you to work out how to open a database with some form of ER digram from within word. There is a huge potential for this software if only the exam boards were to try using it themselves.

9. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

However doesn't run on Ubuntu which the OP has as their OS.

10. DEmsley - true which is a bit of a hassle. I have given the suggestions already to the guys that run the network and asked them to check the basics before we start with the me or the kids using it.