1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open question to TES

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by fingerlickingood, May 29, 2011.

1. I would like to ask a question of the moderator who he/she feels their responsibilities lie. I recently applied for and was offered a position that had been advertised on this site. Perhaps a little late I then posted on this forum asking for information I am thankful to the people who took time to respond because I quickly learned that this school is infamous for the deplorable behaviour towards its staff, in fact it is even listed as the worlds worst international school.
    Had it not been for readers of this TES forum then doubtless I would have made the mistake of countless others before me.
    I of course fully appreciate the reasons why one can’t name schools or individuals on this forum, but I have one very simple question for TES. Why when there are so many complaints against one particular school do you allow them to continue to advertise on your site and in your newspaper, don’t you feel you have a duty to protect teachers from unscrupulous employers such as this school.

2. I would like to ask a question of the moderator who he/she feels their responsibilities lie. I recently applied for and was offered a position that had been advertised on this site. Perhaps a little late I then posted on this forum asking for information I am thankful to the people who took time to respond because I quickly learned that this school is infamous for the deplorable behaviour towards its staff, in fact it is even listed as the worlds worst international school.
    Had it not been for readers of this TES forum then doubtless I would have made the mistake of countless others before me.
    I of course fully appreciate the reasons why one can’t name schools or individuals on this forum, but I have one very simple question for TES. Why when there are so many complaints against one particular school do you allow them to continue to advertise on your site and in your newspaper, don’t you feel you have a duty to protect teachers from unscrupulous employers such as this school.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

The TES are good at taking money for placing advertisements, but they are not so good about taking any responsibility. On the other hand, fingerlickingood, perhaps we are being unreasonable in expecting the TES staff to have a conscience. Whatever next? A brain? The fact that they would not even have jobs, were it not for the fact the thousands of teachers who read the TES, ought to make them more accountable and more careful about which jobs they advertise.
    Search Associates do "blackball" schools that have a bad reputation, so I see no reason why the TES should not do the same thing.
    On this forum I have read a number of posts slagging off the ***, saying what a load of venomous rubbish it is. Well, there are reviews that are pretty negative, it has to be said, but in most cases it is probably because the schools in question are a load of ****! I have repeatedly suggested that what is needed is for more teachers to be helpful and responsible and to write more *** reviews, giving both the good points and the bad ones for each school.

4. Interesteing points you make Hippo, rently I have had interviews with schools through Search Associates and one school actually said to me that they made a decission to stop using TES because they did not want to be associated with some of these less desirable schools.
    I have also noticed that the number of vacancies with TES seems to be on the decline where as with Search they are increasing!
    I think they are putting their own nails in their coffins!

5. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

I think tales of the demise of TES are rather exaggerated.
    At the end of the day the TES is a business. It will always find enough candidates to apply - and obtain - the positions it advertises. It knows this and so do the schools.
    I would also question how great a part the overseas section plays in its business.
    UK posts offered: 1869
    Non - UK posts offered: 239
    I don't think we are that important to them.

6. You know that is so obvious that I never thought of it, it almost makes them complicit in the whole thing.

7. Hello all,
    I've been reading the thread and wanted to offer a brief explanation.
    We do have to remove posts that make claims against specific schools or individuals as the moderation team does not have the resources to investigate these claims.
    If you do have concerns about specific schools then do email us at internet_editor@tes.co.uk and we will pass those on to our advertising and editorial team.
    Best wishes
    Gail

8. But Gail, it's not quite that cut-and-dried, is it? There are threads which openly name schools that have managed not to be pulled and they have been on here for several years. Then there are threads which only allude to certain schools which are gone within hours.
    For people to swallow the explanation you have given, consistency would need to be the name of the game.

9. Simple answer, they are advertisers, its all about money, isn't that right Gail....Dear me we wouldn't expect TES to look out for teachers now would we?

10. Mainwaring

Mainwaring Lead commenter

This rings absolutely true as far as it goes. And business is business, though I could name two respected firms of 'headhunters' who, even though it hits themselves in the pocket, occasionally blacklist schools in response to reports from teachers. And I don't for a moment believe they fly out to South America or Timbuctu to carry out a detailed investigation before they do it.
    And do THEY
    ? I suspect not.
    The previous post's point about inconsistency is well made. Clearly the unwritten rule is 'Delete it if ANYBODY complains, however harmless the post or bibbling the complaint'. This automatically gives certain posters carte blanche to goad others and then press the red button when they receive a richly deserved swatting..
    Best wishes, GM

11. Another thread bites the dust..... That's two threads about Spain pulled in one long morning. Freedom of speech! What freedom of speech as FP would say.
    I blame the pepinos.
    The 'Acuerdo Doble de Impuestos' is legitimate. http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/enq/index.htm
    www.britishcopuncil.org/languageassistants-fla-understandingincome-tax-spanish-1012.doc
    www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/dtmanual/DT2140+.htm
    ¿Y por que no se meten contigo M?
    My advice to anyone who wants to come to Spain is, if you want to live in Spain because you love the place, lifestyle etc, work in the state sector as a linguistic adviser until your Spanish is up to scratch and then do oposiciones even if it means teaching in a pueblo for a few years. Then you apply for the school you want through el codigo 99. It's almost impossible to fail the oposiciones if English is your first language.
    It's well worth it!
    It's the first time any of my posts/threads have been deleted. I'll be good again, I promise Bev.

12. Hello I started this thread because I was concerned at some of the dubious schools that were being allowed to advertise on TES and how TES seemed to be ignoreing them. I had applied and been offered a position at such a school, it was only after asking advice on this forum that I was able to find out that the school was actually infamous for the way it treat its staff. TES readers were able to tell me tales of the school withholding staff?s salary and even using physical violence against teachers.
    The moderators immediately removed the post, I thought that maybe they were embarrassed at being associated with such a school, so imagine my disgust to see the same school advertising yet again.
    Come on TES isn?t it about time you took some responsibility?

13. It is interesting, though, that many threads referring to schools remain, even though most of us know exactly which schools they are.
    Search printing press.
    I can only assume that they don´t pay TES enough.

14. Some years ago I worked at a large school in the Middle East, the HR lady said that she had a special access code for the TES forum which allowed her to delete whole threads. I do not know how true this was, but, any posts about that school seem to be gone within an hour!

15. There is a school in the area of the former USSR that must have the same privilege!!

16. Ooooohhh! The plot thickens. Trafficking of influences no less.

17. That is completely untrue. Only TES staff can remove threads. It is more than likely the school reported the threads to us.

18. Me thinks the lady doth protest too much

19. I´m just impressed that Gail and Bev actually interatct with posters on the overseas forum.
    Over on Opinion, you can never get a reply from them when you ask why your thread was pulled.

20. I doubt that Bev and Gail have any power at all, save for wantonly deleting threads.
    In fact, for all we know, they could be a couple of young guys on a bit of a side earner in an Eastern European call centre.