1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open mutiny...just about avoided!

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by YesMrBronson, Jan 18, 2011.

1. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

If all pupils misbehave then all pupils should be punished.

2. Chin up.

You're doing the right thing. You're more than capable. It will all work out okay.

It sucks when you get into the situation where the children are ready to rebel. Without being there, and without as much experience as you, I don't feel particularly qualified to comment. However, here is my tuppence worth.

Go in hard now. Set your boundaries. Take no prisoners. This is most important. If you have no discipline you have nothing. The children need to know that you are ready to jump on them from a great height if you have to, consistently and frequently. Get the parents on side. Hold a parent meeting if you must. Make your expectations clear to them too - "I expect that you will support us in our behaviour management strategies, etc..."

When this has been set in place, then you need to reach out to the most poorly behaved. Why are they like this? Do they have problems at home? Do they have IEPs/SEN etc? What do they respond best to? Show a real interest in their out of school lives and try to make contact with them about things they care about ("How was your football match yesterday, Sam?") Don't necessarily approach them as a group, break them down one by one. If someone refuses to participate in a lesson again, say that's fine, but they know exactly what's going to happen to them (eg red card, letter home, detention, whatever you choose).

Most importantly, don't doubt yourself. It will take a while. Your ten years of experience show that you are more than qualified for this. You have a real opportunity to make a difference to children's lives.

3. Wow! Thanks for those words of encouragement, once more into the breach today, deep breath and here we go again!