1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open Mornings/Days

Discussion in 'Primary' started by swbamford, Nov 8, 2017.

1. swbamford

swbamford New commenter

I was hoping some of you could share some experiences or some good tips on this for me.

We have an open morning coming up in my primary school where the parents are in to visit classes. I found traditionally that the parents come in, watch what the teacher does and leave. I would like to add some more interactivity where the parents are far more involved and inquisitive to how and what the children are learning and have a greater understanding of their child's educational journey.

If anyone has any tips on how to achieve this I would be massively appreciative.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Don't you be 'doing' anything noticeable during that lesson.
    Ensure your children are primed that if their parent comes in, they are to invite said parent to come and work with them on XYZ.
    Ensure there are sufficient pens/pencils/resources for parents to join in and complete a similar exercise with their child.
    If you HAVE to stand at the front and teach, prime the children to bring their parent to the carpet and sit on parent's lap. Then every time you ask a question, get the children to tell their parent the answer and make them (the parent) put their hand up to answer. Ask the parents, not the children to answer. (It's fine to say "Chloe's dad", or "Tom's granny" you don't need to know parent names.)

squashball and swbamford like this.
  3. squashball

squashball New commenter

Agree with caterpillar - you shouldn't be on show here and it's so tiresome having crowds watching you teach. Get the children off the carpet quickly. During an open day I did, I had art/collage work going (nothing more hilarious than doing a Jackson Pollock activity with flying paint during a parent visit); bingo games (phonics, key words, shapes - always helpful to have an adult support these); maths games (things like Shopping Basket or all those other bought games which sit on the shelf all year long untouched because you can't supervise). Don't know which year group you are, but I also did a teddy bear picnic with food so I could model to parents how to draw out the maths of a simple activity like this. I think I also had a "double the price" shop running and it was excellent to get parents in there, buying things and getting them to check the children's maths skills. Do you have a current topic?

4. alexanderosman

alexanderosman Occasional commenter

Put a task on the board which you explain to the children before the parents come in. Parents arrive, children show them round the room and show their books, then get on with the task with parent helping. Many parents then get bored and leave as they don't know how to help, which is sad but you have given them the opportunity to join in if they want.

swbamford likes this.