1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open evenings, etc. and directed time.

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by spart, Nov 15, 2019.

1. spart

spart New commenter

I teach in a secondary school, I have not been here long, about six months. Next week I have to attend presentation evening unfortunately it goes on until 21:00 Hrs. I do not want to go home and then come back to be here until 9pm, in fact I do not want to be here at all (this is the first school that I have taught in that has open evenings etc. as directed time.

As far as I know a teacher cannot be forced to attend an open evening so should I be compelled to attend a presentation evening just because the head teacher wants to burn up all of the staffs directed time allocation.

Any advice?

2. meggyd

meggyd Lead commenter

The open evening can most definitely be directed and this is normally the case. I am not sure if the trapped time can be included in directed time. Someone else will advise.

3. CWadd

CWadd Star commenter

If the Presentation Evening is in place of a couple of meetings, yes, you are obliged to attend. As you are also obliged to attend Open Evenings if, again, its in place of a couple of meetings.

I suggest you ask someone for clarity.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

NASUWT argue that open evenings are not directed time as they are promotional events. You do switch between "open " and "presentation" in your post.
    NEU do not take this view.
    The majority of school will include it as part of the directed time budget and require you to attend. Mine does for the annual open evening (as in for parents of prospective pupils who are currently y6), but not for "presentation" evenings, ie awards ceremonies. These are optional.

5. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

NASUWT argue (and NUT did) that trapped time should count against directed time. However there is no stipulation for this in STPCD.

6. CandysDog

CandysDog Occasional commenter

I think you’re in the minority there. I’ve never worked in a school that doesn’t have open evenings as directed time.