1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open evening.....suggstions needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by starby, May 24, 2011.

1. I work at a secondary school where we will be holding an open evening for Year 5 students. We have been asked to come up with a 'challenge' for them related to our subject (in my case, English) as well as teaching a lesson. I've got the lesson sorted, but I'm having problems with the 'challenge'!
    Ideas so far:
    - English staff dressing up as literary characters and the students have to guess who they are. Staff are reluctant so not sure about this.
    - A Shakespeare webquest, but the ones that I've found are too difficult. I've tried to adapt them, but they don't seem to be very interesting.
    Can anyone think of other ideas or inspiration for a webquest that is more engaging? I don't have much experience with younger students and I would like them to enjoy their time in the department!

2. I work at a secondary school where we will be holding an open evening for Year 5 students. We have been asked to come up with a 'challenge' for them related to our subject (in my case, English) as well as teaching a lesson. I've got the lesson sorted, but I'm having problems with the 'challenge'!
    Ideas so far:
    - English staff dressing up as literary characters and the students have to guess who they are. Staff are reluctant so not sure about this.
    - A Shakespeare webquest, but the ones that I've found are too difficult. I've tried to adapt them, but they don't seem to be very interesting.
    Can anyone think of other ideas or inspiration for a webquest that is more engaging? I don't have much experience with younger students and I would like them to enjoy their time in the department!

3. famous quotes or characters from texts and match to title and author

4. My Year 5's enjoy following instructions to complicated problems e.g. an origami model