1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open Ended Maths Investigations? If only...

Discussion in 'Primary' started by niamh_mcgrogan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. I've recently started doing an in depth maths investigation each week with my Y4 class. The idea is to get them used to taking a structured, logical and organised approach to solving an extended problem, in an interesting context eg Whodunnit? type investigations, rather than 'send so and so on holiday with such and such of a budget' which has become a bit drab by now.
    I've found and completed 3 really lovely ones - saving the world from an alien virus, a mystery party venue and a Whodunnit? - and now I'm floundering to find more! There are word problems galore, but I'm hunting for open ended investigations that will take a Y4 two sessions to explore, understand and solve. There seems to be plenty for UKS2 and KS3, but that would obviously be too challenging.
    Can anyone suggest anything?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you go to BEAM and click on 'maths of the month' or some such similar link there are lots of investigations. Not quite as extended as the ones you are looking for maybe, but some may be some possibilities.

3. roise

roise New commenter

I would agree that Beam have some great stuff and so do nrich nrich.maths.org/7752 I teach in KS1 and like the ideas from a book called Creative Activities Maths Problem Solving. They also make a KS2 book which I haven't used but if it is a good as the KS1 book would be great.

4. BEAM and nrich are great! Also the Maths puzzles which are on the renewed framework site have some good investigations!

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

HATE, HATE people who recommend books!

It better be good for the money I've spent on Amazon!