1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open ended activities Foundation Stage

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by natt180, Feb 7, 2011.

1. natt180

natt180 New commenter

Hi,
    Could someone please clarify for me what an open ended activity is. If possible an example of an activity for all 6 areas would be great.
    Many Thanks in advance

2. natt180

natt180 New commenter

Hi,
    Could someone please clarify for me what an open ended activity is. If possible an example of an activity for all 6 areas would be great.
    Many Thanks in advance

3. My understanding of open ended is where the children can take an activity or idea in their own direction, like an open ended question, where it's up for discussion/explanation rather than a yes/no. An example would be providing a challenge and resources, then letting the children steer it. You might start with a story and a few props such as soft toys or puppets, fabric, cushions, boxes...and then let the children continue with the role play that emerges with the resources afterwards. As a creative activity, provide resources such as sponges and paint, and let the children make their own patterns and pictures. Open ended is about avoiding 'I want you all to make an X' and allowing the children to make a B, D or Z if they choose! I hope that's OK as an explanation. I look forward to reading other responses!