1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open days and stay and play sessions

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by yculbird, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    Do you have mornings where parents can come into the classroom and work with their children or hold open days?
    Currently, we have a "get busy morning" one day a week where parents can stay for half an hour to engage in play with their children in the setting.
    We also hold a themed open day each half term where nursery and reception children and their parents mingle between the three classrooms.
    I am now being told that parents must sign in at the main entrance each time they attend these events and that they will need a CRB check.
    A simple ticksheet of the parents who have stayed has been sufficient in the past with extra vigilance and a risk assessment completed by the nursery/reception staff.
    Surely, i cannot be expected to ensure that they've all had a CRB check before they enter the building to share in play with their child! Am I being unreasonable? The parents have a free choice as to whether they do or don't attend at the moment but i fear this will make them not bother at all.
    I understand safeguarding and welfare procedures but isn't this going a tad too far?
    I'm scared that as soon as my parents are told to go and sign in at the main entrance, they will decide not to bother attending our get busy morning or open days. It is a job getting them involved as it is "Parents as Partners" and all that jazz so my get busy mornings and open days have been a good way of involving them. I'm just trying to keep my innovative ways of involving parents alive.
    Anyone else had similar issues or found a way around this?
    Lucy

2. Hi all,
    Do you have mornings where parents can come into the classroom and work with their children or hold open days?
    Currently, we have a "get busy morning" one day a week where parents can stay for half an hour to engage in play with their children in the setting.
    We also hold a themed open day each half term where nursery and reception children and their parents mingle between the three classrooms.
    I am now being told that parents must sign in at the main entrance each time they attend these events and that they will need a CRB check.
    A simple ticksheet of the parents who have stayed has been sufficient in the past with extra vigilance and a risk assessment completed by the nursery/reception staff.
    Surely, i cannot be expected to ensure that they've all had a CRB check before they enter the building to share in play with their child! Am I being unreasonable? The parents have a free choice as to whether they do or don't attend at the moment but i fear this will make them not bother at all.
    I understand safeguarding and welfare procedures but isn't this going a tad too far?
    I'm scared that as soon as my parents are told to go and sign in at the main entrance, they will decide not to bother attending our get busy morning or open days. It is a job getting them involved as it is "Parents as Partners" and all that jazz so my get busy mornings and open days have been a good way of involving them. I'm just trying to keep my innovative ways of involving parents alive.
    Anyone else had similar issues or found a way around this?
    Lucy

3. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

People only need CRB checks if they are left alone with children. We don't ask for them for school trips for example (when parents are always paired up with a staff member) or for our open morning sessions. We do however ask for everyone to sign in with reception. We tell the parents this is for fire regulations (if we need to evacute the school). They seem quite happy about doing it. Maybe if they don't like going to reception, you could have a signing in sheet in the classroom that is then taken up to reception when everyone is there? It sounds like you are doing a good job in getting parents involved. We started open mornings this year and they are getting more popular and the children are starting to drive them - eg we are getting parents asking if they can come in at different times if they can't make the set mornings. We have had more Dads coming along and grandparents too. We are also starting to attract the families who would not dream of coming to a more formal curriculum evening. It's one of the best things we have achieved this year.

4. Of course you are not. They do not need a CRB check.

5. InkyP

InkyP Star commenter

We do CRB checks on regular volunteer helpers but not for parents attending open days, performances etc. otherwise you would have to have CRB checks on parents bringing their children in in morning as they might meet other children in the cloakroom.
    You can't encourage parental involvement on one hand and insist on vetting anyone who sets foot through the door on the other hand.