1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Open day and RE

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by meeker, Sep 13, 2011.

1. After a great year with our exam results I really want to make an impact on open day for perspective parents. I have a few ideas on how to show off RE, bu was wondering if you have any suggestions.

Thanks

2. We use two classrooms for RE at open evening- one for displays of pupils work examples of resources and rolling Powerpoint of what RE is about at our school.
    And then my classroom has 6 tables for the 6 world religions displaying artefacts etc and a table of halal and kosher food and typical jewish. muslim dishes. I then have music playing from the different religions.
    Hope this helps.

3. Brummy Boy

Brummy Boy New commenter

If you have time my I recommend making a 'Prezi' (just put it into Google). The presentations you can create quite easily look very professional. That playing to music always seems to satisfy parents and looks very professional. It also helps that no one else at my school uses them.

Hope this helps.

4. matryoshkadoll

matryoshkadoll Occasional commenter

We had one classroom but grouped tables. Two of the grouped tables were placed further back with artefacts and a selection of books and students work. On two of the other groups of tables we had some of the artistic year 9 and 11 girls doing henna tattoos on the hands of visitors. The work was so good that some of the mothers had designs as well. We just copied some designs from Google images and printed them out for people to choose which design they wanted.

On another group of tables, we had a stained glass window making station. I found some designs on Google images that could be coloured in with permanent oht pens and then photocopied these designs onto about 7-8 acetate sheets that we still had from years ago. We cut the designs into squares and put them in a tray for children to choose. We had already pre- cut some black sugar paper into view finders and then children sat down, coloured in their designs, and glued their window designs between to equally sized viewfinders. It was a hit with both boys and girls. Plus it was great because they had a design that they could take away with them.

Finally, on the white board, I played a video produced by our RE trainee - I have a wireless mouse, so I just replayed every 4 minutes from anywhere in the room. The video is not school specific, so if you want to use it, it is on my youtube channel http://www.youtube.com/user/matryoshkadoll?feature=mhee

We were extremely busy all nightHope this is helpful.

Emily Leah likes this.