1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

OP Inky: Want to start a cookery club but there are so many obstacles. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by inky, Sep 17, 2008.

1. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd appreciate any information. We were so full of enthusiasm - going for Healthy School Status, blah blah blah - but are now discouraged.
    Does anyone run a succesful cooking club at their school? I'd really appreciate information about how this can be done.

2. inky

inky Lead commenter

I'd appreciate any information. We were so full of enthusiasm - going for Healthy School Status, blah blah blah - but are now discouraged.
    Does anyone run a succesful cooking club at their school? I'd really appreciate information about how this can be done.

3. Hi

I have run a KS1/YR cooking club for the last two years. Myself and a reception teacher run it for an hour after school (i teach y5). We have made; cheese scones, greek salad, wraps and sandwiches, aprioct cookies, smoothies, breakfast cereal, houmous and lots of other stuff that i can't think of now!!

We had ten children at a time and i did one recipe with 5 and other teacher did a different one with other 5 so that they either tasted or took home some of each.

We charged £3 a session and this covered all our costs. We did have some intial starting costs as our fodd tech stuff was definitely lacking!

Any more questions, please ask!

Vegas

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you, vegas. It can be done! What equipment do you use? Do ewither of you have a food safety certificate? etc etc...

Sadly, I know that a lot of our parents couldn't afford £3 a session. Does anyone run a club in an inner city school where money is tight?

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did cookery club with KS2 last year. It was very successful, but hugely oversubscribed. I had no facilities to actually cook things, so everything we made they took home to cook, or was no-cook cooking.
    We made, fruit salad, cous cous salad, shortbread, chocolate malteser traybake, fruit pizza, boiled sweet biscuits, chocolate truffles and can't remember what else.
    Each group of 12 children did 10 weeks for one and a quarter hours afterschool. They brought their own ingredients with them, generally ready weighed out. School bought large mixing bowls,plastic mixing spoons, sharp knives and chopping boards at a discount from the local poundshop.
    Was very popular and a lot of fun, so do go for it if you can.

6. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've just reread my post and seen how stupid the inner city remark was. There are families all over the place that cant afford £3. Sorry to have sounded so blinkered.

7. inky

inky Lead commenter

Thank you, minnieminx.

8. I would say £3 was actually an overcharge as we had surplus! It was the intial price we estimated then continued with. Some of our kids didn 't pay the full amount!

But generally we're in an affluent area!

Vegas

9. Should have also said - we had mini belling on a trolley that we took to the classroom where we cooked. We had a wheeled drawer unit with other stuff. Knives, spoons, bowls, scales, baking trays etc

I am talking in the past tense as we are very fortunate to have a brand new kitchen - used for th efirst time today! And in the future we will hold our clubs in there and it will be so much easier! We did do it for 2 years in classrooms though!

I would say that however simpe the recipe, the kids love it! You don't need ot be making anything fancy for them to have fun! We also did some tasting - when we made houmous we bought several breads and used them for dipping - that kind of thing!

Veags

10. I run a cooking club after school with years 3 - 6. I applied for a grant to set up the club and had just over £2000 which I used to install a small kitchen and buy a table top cooker, aprons etc. I teach in a communities 1st area and was given a grant by the Welsh Assembly for a cooking kit which has all the kitchen utensils you can think of, bowls and saucepans and I attended an inset on a cooking bus which 'taught' me how to cook with the children, children went on it aswell and made 3 different meals: see http://www.focusonfood.org/cookingbuses.html - also available for schools in England - was fab!!! School sent me and a few LSA's on a level 2 food hygiene course so I have that aswell. I ask for a contribution of £1 per child and I have a group of 6 children at the moment which is on a rota basis. It is a lot of work but the kids love it!

11. inky

inky Lead commenter

I've revived this thread because my school now runs a brilliant after-school cookery club and I want to encourage other schools to take the plunge.

12. Msz

Msz Established commenter

We've just obtained funding to run a cookery club but I'm not sure of the details I'll try to find out.

13. We got a Let's Get Cooking grant which was brilliant - funded equipment and staff time. I think you can apply to be an associate club - you don't get the same grants but you should be able to get the recipes etc which are always great.