1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oops - we seem to have upset someone

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JL48, May 18, 2020.

1. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

My thread on the impact of teacher bashing has been locked. Given the tenor of certain other threads, I genuinely have no idea why. Have I upset someone important ?

Any clues ?

a1976 likes this.
  2. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Surprised? Why do you suppose a lot of are so sensitive? Don't worry, I'm starting an actual website dedicated to not teacher-bashing, but putting out the truth about a lot of things that are going on in our schools, from indoctrination and unprofessionalism to extortionate salaries and corrupt management.

3. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Are you @David Getling ? He's already done that.

4. garyconyers

garyconyers New commenter

So, teacher-bashing then.

letap likes this.
  5. SEBREGIS

SEBREGIS Lead commenter

I would argue that its only teach bashing if it suggests that all teachers are unprofessional, corrupt and incompetent. But with so many of us in this profession there are bound to be plenty of cases where thats true. No sense covering up that sort of thing.

I used to quite enjoy spending my Friday straight after school sitting in the staff room with a cup of coffee, reading the TES to see the ridiculous things people had been getting fired for. Like the primary teacher who used to get her class to run her Ebay business for her, or the secondary school teacher who brought a gun into the classroom.

Does anyone have a link to David Getlings site? I could use a laugh.

6. Luvsskiing

Luvsskiing Established commenter

There are some strange things going on at TES HQ at the momentum. Any mention of Guardian bias and unbalanced Guardian views, lack of fact-checking, pointing out their focus on endless bad news by the paper gets a moderator running to their keyboard for the 'delete post' button faster than Emperor Xi can say, 'The virus is nothing to do with us' .......

alex_teccy and agathamorse like this.
  7. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

From a quick look my guess is it's nothing to do with the the thread subject as such but because, on page 1, it developed into a personal argument between two posters (not you). Mods often lock threads when that happens to prevent further breaches of Community Guidelines. If mods think the thread subject breaches TES T&C or is flaming or something they tend to delete the whole thread, not lock it. Just my observation over the years, I have no actual information.

8. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

timandlauren5 likes this.
  9. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

"Like the primary teacher who used to get her class to run her Ebay business for her"

Pure class

Dorsetdreams likes this.
  10. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

Strange? Maybe not that strange.

It seems to be only your threads about the Guardian @Luvsskiing that moderators delete, no-one else's. I wonder if that could be because they think your posts breach TES rules against 'flaming'?

If you post a message with the sole purpose of winding others up, this is called flaming. If you are flamed and you attack back, you will spark a flame war.
    Just a thought, I don't know why mods acted as they did.

11. Jonntyboy

Jonntyboy Established commenter

I don't agree with you on this one. Having been on several forums over the years, this one seems to me to be the most sensitively moderated - we have quite a lot of freedom.
    I regularly criticize both the G and the BBC and my posts are not removed.

12. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I do not think it is teacher bashing as such, more teacher envy - based on not knowing the reality of the job.

Anyone outside the profession sees teachers as on holiday all the time and when at work, finishing at 3 pm. So while teachers may not agree there should be some understanding of why so many are angry now that teachers appear to be refusing to go back for a few weeks before getting 'all of summer off'.

Not sure how this perception can be changed, has been like this for ages. I was ribbed for ages by previous work colleagues when I said I was entering teaching, from 'lazy b' to 'you have gone from doing to can't'. All the cliches.

My neighbour still has a go at me when summer is here, reminding me he now has to pay £50 a day for child care and it is my fault.

christubbs likes this.
  13. christubbs

christubbs New commenter

Yes the perception of teaching and teachers is not great...I think it stems from wider society not really valuing education. All that matters these days is looks and money and "likes" on social media. One of the few upsides of lockdown is that i imagine most people know their neighbours better? every cloud and all that

I do worry how many of our students have been cooped up indoors on their phones/playstations ad nauseum. Went on a 3 hour walk today which took me past school....didn't see a single teenager/student.

I wonder how the iphone generation will view teachers in the decades to come...

14. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

15. JL48

JL48 Star commenter

Part of the issue is that teachers are more seen as babysitters than educators.