1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Oops left the gas on...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lillipad, Nov 12, 2011.

1. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Only for a few minutes, and relit hob once I realised, and opened windows... and now wondering if it's safe to turn all the lights off and other switches I was using!?! I know nothing about gas, etc so am I being silly? Reassure me / advise?!

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Only for a few minutes, and relit hob once I realised, and opened windows... and now wondering if it's safe to turn all the lights off and other switches I was using!?! I know nothing about gas, etc so am I being silly? Reassure me / advise?!

3. doomzebra

doomzebra Occasional commenter

Seriously?

4. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Lol yes! I haven't lived alone before and am young! Just need reassuring! lol

5. Do you have a budgie?

6. doomzebra

If you did not blow yourself up when you relit the gas, why do you think anything else will be more dangerous than that?

7. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Because as I said in previous posts, I know nothing about gas at all and I haven't live alone before. Plus I relit the gas before I even thought about it... ha.

8. doomzebra

Unfortunatly the RSPB now frowns upon using lit budgies to restart ovens

9. I thought that was cockatiels ?

10. doomzebra

I'll have to check my cagebird flamability index

11. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Canary, surely?

12. Outlawed....and don't call me surely.

13. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

So just to sum up:

1. I won't die via gas explosion.

2. I need to invest in a budgie for future gas leaks.

yes? :)

14. doomzebra

1. No guarantee of that
    2. Silly to invest in one for past leaks

15. No and yes. Plus I would get a goldfish incase you leave a bath tap on. :¬))

16. The most dangerous bit was relighting the hob.
    If it wasnt for very long, the kitchen has been aired for a bit and you cant smell gas - you'll be fine.
    I once cleaned the hob and knocked the gas dial, went out all day and came back to it stinking. I had to air the flat all night in the freezing cold and couldn't have anything electrical on for ages!

17. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Ok thank you :) It's been an hour now with windows open, so am sure it'll be fine. All the lights are still on as haven't been bothered to get off the sofa to turn them off yet lol.

18. All the surplus gas would have been burnt up when you relit your hob. The fact that you still have eyebrows, hair and life means that all the gas has gone from the area immediately surrounding your hob.
    If it happens in future then please don't switch off the lights/switch on the lights or any other sort of electrical appliance. It's the little weeny spark that happens when you do that that will make the gas ignite (i.e. blow up your house).
    I think there's some advice on the British Gas website about what to do in this sort of case.