1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ooops

Discussion in 'Personal' started by sbkrobson, Oct 14, 2019.

1. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I know this is probably the wrong place to post this, but I wanted to hear others on this, and I know there is most traffic here.
    It's about BlendSpace, the feature available to TES members for storing and sharing lessons in a specific slide format.
    When logging in to your account you are/were offered the option to share your resources, so you click on create, and you are then in BlendSpace. Then you think "na, I don't really want to do this" or "what is this thing?" and then go and do something else.
    Fine so far? No! The problem I have is that it is not obvious to a user that by doing the above somewhat inane diddling about you are then attaching a blank lesson to your user account which, pivotally, bears your identity. The name you used to open your TES account, not your user name.

This procedure is NOT transparent at all, resulting in many many people posting on the forums , being very careful to assume anonymity with a contrived username, and yet bearing their actual real life via one click on their profile.
    It's not obvious, but it is there.

There are at the time of writing many threads on the front page of dilemmas which apply to this scenario. These people are not stupid. They have read the forum guidelines. And yet are led into posting highly sensitive and indicting material without concealing their identity. Because it is not a transparent enough thing.

TES-sort it out. It's an issue of Functionaiity, and a pretty serious one. On this occasion I really don't think it would be fair to blame users on not researching their settings. It is simply not made clear enough. Why else would it happen so often?

What do others think?

Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    agathamorse, Jamvic, cissy3 and 3 others like this.
  2. Owennnn

Owennnn Occasional commenter

There is no reason that a persons full name should be linked with a blendspace lesson imo

agathamorse likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Well you say "no reason" and that might pertain to you because you know your way around the thing, that is clear. But the fact remains that it defaults to a public display of your registered name just by looking at the thing, opening once, and then deciding you don't want to do it.
    As I said, many users quite clearly do not realise this, which points to there being a reason.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

When I have noticed this before, probably on four or five occasions, I have 'private messaged' the individuals concerned to alert them to it - in each case, they had no idea their identity was visible in this way and were shocked to find that it was.

This has been going on for some time and TES are clearly aware of it, as the posters I messaged are no longer identifiable so must have contacted TES to sort it out.

I agree with you @sbkrobson, If it is a generic thing attached to a particular profile area, then it should be fixed once and for all by TES.

Jamvic, cissy3 and sbkrobson like this.
  5. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Yes, I've done the private message thing too, with similar response.
    Actually you don't need to contact TES to sort it out, you just have to go into your profile and spend twenty seven years fiddling about to delete. I suppose like most things, if you know how to do it then it's quicker.
    But it is not obvious, it is not clear, it is not being addressed.

TES are very clear in their forum guidelines that anonymity is important, presumably for them too as respected forum providers, so you'd conclude there is simply no joined up thinking between the resources bit and the community bit.
    How do you "at" the relevant site administrators? Anybody?

fwiw I recall the ridiculous to and fro with Facebook a couple of years ago, where they were being pressured to make their privacy settings more obvious. It took ages for them to acknowledge that the settings were simply not clear enough, literally years. Why do they do this? Why the attitude "Well, they are there, therefore everybody knows"? It reminds me of management who castigate because you didn't know about a meeting announced in an email amongst two thousand other emails.
    Just because you tell something does not make it known. BlendSpace is a good example of this. Maybe.

agathamorse and Lalad like this.
  6. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

I reported this issue to tes a couple of years ago regarding resources. They definitely changed my name on my area -not sure whether that was an ‘across the board’ rectification though.
    I think you ( and any other individuals ) should contact ( and keep contacting) tes directly to get this sorted.

Good idea to message individuals so that they are aware.

7. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The problem is that you have to be logged in to view and see the identifying information in another person's profile, so the person can't tell whether their real name is visible to someone else...because they will be logged in as themselves!

Please can this be sorted @TES Resource Team @TES_Rosaline ?

Jamvic and sbkrobson like this.
  8. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

Exactly.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  9. Aquamarina1234

Aquamarina1234 Star commenter

Sbkrobson, have you reported this directly to the mods? I see none has responded on this thread.
    Fwiw, I opened a new email account with a random address using a fake name in order to avoid this sort of thing, not that I use any of the services you mention.