1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Ooh, My Back!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by c0ldplay, Sep 13, 2019.

1. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

I work in a reception class and suffer with the occasional bad back. This week I was simply sitting down when my back ‘went’ resulting in taking 3 days off ill. I am hoping I will improve enough to return to school on Monday. I am 6’ 2” tall and little chairs and tables are of course not suitable for me. I did have an office type chair on wheels in the class which I used for register and to read books from. The problem was, the children would wheel it around/spin on it so now I just have a low padded chair on legs which I use. Of course I can’t move this chair around the room. I do a lot of squatting and kneeling (not ideal) but my problem is, when I need to be with the children at tables during group work and choosing time for spells at a time. So I am posting this to ask what others do in their classrooms. Other than have a chair that I ride/wheel around a bit like Mario Kart I am struggling what to do. Thanks for any ideas.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I do stuff with children out of school, and they're usually quite content to work standing at a table. Could you use a higher table for the group you are working with, with them standing and you sitting on a reasonable height chair? I realise that doesn't help with choosing time, though...

I have back problems too, and there's no way I could teach reception.

3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Lead commenter

Don't allow them to do this. If that is the chair suitable for you, you don't stop using it because the children misbehave on it.

4. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I use a large size low chair and move it about the place by lifting it and carrying above their level of their heads. We don't do much table work, so lots of the time I'm sitting on the floor anyway.

If your wheeled chair worked for you, then you may just need to be firmer with the children that it is your chair and they are not to use it. End of story.

5. grumbleweed

grumbleweed Lead commenter

I agree. I've just had a new hip, I'm sure as a result of years of sitting on little chairs, and lugging furniture around. If you need a more adult sized chair, then use it, children will soon get used to the idea that is a special chair just for you.
    Also,like frustrum said, children standing at desks for some tasks is actually better for them physically, they don't need to sit to paint, play dough, build with construction etc.

But do look after that back too.

6. teapot24

teapot24 New commenter

I have one of these for my back I lie on for 5 minutes after work. Too much bending forwards is a major cause of back ache. Mine was not this expensive though.

Attached Files:

7. c0ldplay

c0ldplay New commenter

Thanks for all your responses. Regarding the chair on wheels, I didn’t really like it; it was very lightweight and not suitable for the class. Thanks too for reminding me that many tasks can be done by children without chairs. I think I need to find a more suitable adult chair for the classroom. I will also look out for a back massager gadget!