1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only taught Reception for 1 morning, being observed next week by consultancy group!

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by amanda2501, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Our LEA has asked a consultancy group to inspect us next week in a supportive role. It is to be like a mock Ofsted inspection.I am a part-time PPA cover teacher working on a 2-week rolling timetable.
    Due to family issues (the death of my mother at the end of September) and my children's illnesses, I have only taught the Reception class once for 1 morning since September, and yes you guessed it, I will be being observed teaching Reception (phonics and numeracy) next week. I must also add that I started this PPA cover role in September, after being on Maternity Leave for 10 months previously, before which I was a KS2 full time teacher, so to say I am still finding my feet is putting it mildly!
    The Reception class teacher will be in with me next week and she is fantastic, I'm wondering if anyone else can give me any 'wow' ideas for delivering a Phase 1 phonics session introducing a new letter.
    Thanking you in advance.

2. I don't know about 'wow' session but if the reception teacher can tell you what other single letters the children have you can use some time to play some phonic games (some great 1's under resources on here) to re-cap and introduce blending to build words. I played who can cross the river? sung to the tune of London Bridge today with a bit of blue slinky fabric from a charity shop for my river and felt squares for my stepping stones and the children worked in pairs to blend words like sh-i-p-s, r-o-ck-e-t etc to cross the river. They were mixed R/1 so we read some sentences as well. You could easily play outside with clement weather.
    Puppets and cuddly toys always seem to work because the children like to be helpful and it encourages careful listening if the puppet is shy and whispers.
    Also if you're introducing new sounds and do it with the writing of the new sound you can do all the write it in the air, with your light sabre (see ABCdoes blog, on a partner's back etc
    Hope of some help and enjoy I went from YR R to YR4 and back:) I love reception. Good luck though I'm sure you won't need it.