1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only taking some of the half pay mat leave

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by rodaso, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Hi
    Does anyone know whether it is possible to only take part of the half pay offered as mat leave and then work less weeks on return before leaving? For example if I only took 6 weeks at half pay would I only be required to work 6 weeks (or 7) on my return to work in order to obtain the pay? Or is it a case of if you take only of the half pay mat leave then you will be required to work the full 13 weeks in order to keep it?
    I would ask HR but I want to just explore my options at this present time and last time I asked a question they contacted the school directly. This then resulted in my HT telling me I wasn't allowed to contact HR myself and that any questions I had should be directed to HR via the school.
    Many thanks

2. Hi
    Does anyone know whether it is possible to only take part of the half pay offered as mat leave and then work less weeks on return before leaving? For example if I only took 6 weeks at half pay would I only be required to work 6 weeks (or 7) on my return to work in order to obtain the pay? Or is it a case of if you take only of the half pay mat leave then you will be required to work the full 13 weeks in order to keep it?
    I would ask HR but I want to just explore my options at this present time and last time I asked a question they contacted the school directly. This then resulted in my HT telling me I wasn't allowed to contact HR myself and that any questions I had should be directed to HR via the school.
    Many thanks

3. as far as i understand, if you take any of the half pay you have to work the full 13 weeks to keep it.

4. Boo :( I had suspected that might be the case. I was hoping to get away with just a half term's return. Not great for the children but much better for my sanity.

5. Don't forget that the holidays count as part of your return to work so if you returned for example on the first day of the summer half term, work the half term and resign as of 31st August that would probably cover your 13 weeks depending on on your term dates.