1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only just heard about these changes...as if supply work wasnt hard enough?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Jacster22, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Hi
    Just been to register for sept supply and was informed of new agency workers regulations which come in in October 2011 which basically means after 12 weeks of supply work then schoolsa have to pay/offer same rights as full time staff.
    If this is true then it will be even harder to get longer term supply posts as schools just dont have the money from dwindling budgets as it is....and although I understand its in the supply teachers interest for equal opps but surely this will make things even more difficult wihout a permanent post?
    Am I right to worry?
    http://www.fridays-group.co.uk/wordpress/?p=102
    [​IMG]

2. les25paul

les25paul Star commenter

Not sure but don't think so. You will never do 12 weeks continous work because the terms are not that long. After a weeks break couldn't it be argued that you start again at week one?

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Wouldn't worry about the 12 week's issue. As someone else has said, it's rare for a term to be that long.
    More of an issue is whether there will actually be any supply around next year with so many CSs and 'other coping mechanisms ' available .

4. Have to admit to not looking at the legislation. The 6 to 7 week holiday to half term sort of thing has given a break which I suppose has kept us cheap and schools happy to have a casual on call work force with no strings attached.
    However for the big long term job, a full term, including a half term break could raise issues. IE you are back in the same school after half term.
    I do not think it looks good. However, perhaps the schools will look at the big picture and offer more short term contracts earlier , instead of going for a hotch potch fix of here and there cover using agencies but I doubt it.
    overall view - Good for Temping in general, naff for supply teachers

5. Thanks and thinking about it you are right about the working for 12 weeks ina row being unrealistic!!
    I must have been being optimistic of a longer term placement to get my induction underway but with the CS and other unqualified staff situation, I guess I will keep waiting...
    Only have til April before I have to look for work outside education as it is
    [​IMG]

6. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

I think the Unions need to get clarification for us, namely whether the half term and between term breaks (when on daily paid work) constitute a break in employment or not. If they do,supply teachers who are never going to manage 12 continuous weeks at one school and can be re-booked ad infinitum on below scale rates via agencies.

7. It won't make any difference to those employed directly by a day rate LEA. Supply were/are paid to scale from day 1 of day-to-day supply. Last figures I read were that over 50% of supply was arranged by direct LEA means, but TES appears to be have mainly agency contributors on these boards. I think the problem will therefore mostly affect agency workers, who could cost the agency fee plus to scale rates.

8. darkness

darkness New commenter

This will either be a good thing for supply teachers or destroy it completely.

look at the example given in the guidance.

"An NHS Trust hires agency workers to work within its hospitals. Assuming the NHS Trust is a single legal entity, the qualifying period will continue to tick if an agency worker moves from one hospital to another within the Trust where there are no breaks between assignments OR THE BREAK IS NO MORE THAN 6 WEEKS."

If you work at the same school, and it doesn't even have to be continuous as it states a break for up to 6 weeks means the clock is merely paused, then after 12 weeks, you qualify, which is why it is likely at some point, you will be dropped from going to some schools. However, there is also an aspect within all this about avoidance measures, so an agency shifting an individual around could be seen as using an avoidance measure.

This is all murky ground, and frankly I dread to think of the outcome.