1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only just back and reminded how awful it is - advice please

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sarton51, Aug 14, 2019.

1. DexterDexter

DexterDexter New commenter

I just wanted to reiterate this! Smurphy6 is spot on

sarton51 likes this.
  2. amysdad

amysdad Established commenter

I suspect form the "going back" date that you were in Scotland. Good to hear you have spoken to your Union.

There are a couple of things which stand out. First, you mention that you will need an operation in the next few months which will require significant recovery time. I wonder whether it might be worth speaking to your GP / consultant to see whether this could be brought forward?

Secondly, you mentioned that you were only a few years off retirement - could you look into the possibility of early retirement? Given that you would be off work for a while with the operation, and - I would suspect - not likely to return quickly even after the recovery period, this might be something which the Council would consider.

sarton51 likes this.
  3. Cantwaittogo

Cantwaittogo New commenter

You should put yourself first and foremost here. If you could put up with it until you have your next op and then take sick leave until you are fully recovered. Then you could consider early retirement should you want to do so.

sarton51 likes this.
  4. sarton51

sarton51 New commenter

Catjellycat, sorry to hear you experienced that. Hope you are in better health and a better job now.It is rubbish when you get treated badly.I am also sorry about the death of your colleague.

5. sarton51

sarton51 New commenter

DexterDexter likes this.
  6. sarton51

sarton51 New commenter

Thank you Frau Russell. I did have a return to work meeting and phased return back but it didnt take long for things to revert to the "norm" . I agree it is most likely down to inexperience but also a lack of empathy sometimes, sadly.

7. sarton51

sarton51 New commenter

Yes, I am in Scotland. I have recently asked for my appointment with the consultant to be brought forward as I feel like I'm living a bit in limbo at the moment. I am not massively hopeful about getting early retirement but can but try...in a more favourable economic climate I would probably have got it but not so sure these days. Worth a try though.Thanks amysdad.

8. sarton51

sarton51 New commenter

Cantwaittogo..firstly, I know that feeling... The timing of the operation will be set by the consultant so I will have to wait and see what they recommend. I wont be rushing my recovery though and may well look into early retirement if I can take it. The operation is major surgery again so I need to be in good health before I can undertake it so there are several variables on the go. But yeah, I dont have any illusions about the need to rush back to work after another major operation!!