1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only in a school for a term? References?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by Bonnie23, Sep 18, 2016.

1. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

Hi,

Some of you may be aware of my situation from previous posts. I've moved to a new school, and although it's fantastic and I'm enjoying it I really really really miss my family.

There's a potential position coming up at a school near my family but as I've only been in my new job for less than two weeks I'm very worried about what the consequences there may be from the school. I'm currently in a permanent contract and just started in September.

Would my headteacher refuse to give a reference? Could I be blacklisted from teaching in the area?

Is there a way to make this easier to deal with? Should I organise a meeting with my headteacher or line manager?
    Thanks in advance!

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Nopes, no need to worry, a zillion other teachers are doing the exact same thing.

If you want the new post then get applying.
    Speak to your current head first though and let them understand that you love your current school, but have made a mistake in moving away from home.

Go for it.

pepper5 likes this.
  3. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

You are going to have to ask for a reference. Let's be honest, it ain't going to be great but a new school will get the situation I imagine

Please don't be hasty though, especially if you like the new school. Don't let homesickness- which may well pass- lead you into making a bad decision.

When is the job starting date?

pepper5 and thekillers like this.
  4. Bonnie23

Bonnie23 Occasional commenter

The job hasn't come up yet. My parents know someone who works at the school who has mentioned that there could be something coming up. Because it's in scotland I'm going to have to apply for my scottish teaching licence and I'll need to get that done ASAP which also requires a reference. I've lived away from my parents for two years before this and I've hated every minute of it unless I'm in school.

I'm at a crossroads where I'm choosing between family and my career and I don't want to look back in twenty years and see that i've sacrificed everything personally for, what is at the end of the day, a job. My parents aren't getting any younger and I don't want to regret anything that may happen.

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

In my experience comments about jobs that 'may come up' are pretty worthless unless it is the HT/DHT commenting.

By all means keep your eyes open for an official advert, but - in my experience - some jobs are filled locally/by teachers known to the school, esp. when it is mid-year. So don't burn any boats with your current job before you know that there is a job you want available...

DYNAMO67, ValentinoRossi and pepper5 like this.
  6. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Agree with @FrankWolley

it depends on you really. Bringing in your previous post I do question why someone so unhappy and homesick for two years decided to apply and accept a new job in a new town still hours away from the family they missed ?

I do feel for you. The school may well understand your situation. If you were 12 months down the line, I would. They will be justified though in feeling a little messed around for me. You say they are a good place though. Don't let your heart rule your head. You are in a new town and things need time to settle!

Please don't do anything unless you have a concrete opportunity.