1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only got a 2:2, would I be able to get a job in an independent school?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by topcat82, Mar 15, 2011.

1. I only got a 2:2 for my English degree but then spent 8 years working as a journalist before going to a PGCE at a very good Uni in London. Will my average degree hold me back from gaining a job at an independent school? I know they are results driven (understandably) so they might only consdier candidates with first class or 2:1 degrees. What are your thoughts? I am slo intending on starting an MA in Education next year, might this help?

2. trinity0097

trinity0097 New commenter

I am in my 1st year at a prep school, witha 2:2 degree, as Head of Maths. To some schools it won't be an issue, to others it will be!

3. boatmanco

boatmanco New commenter

No I think your life experienec will help you more than your degree.
    How did you do in your PGCE?
    An MA would help but experience counts too so get applying! Good luck!

4. Hey thank for all your advice it's a big help, my PGCE will be for secondary but i have been thinking about how much I would like to work in a prep so maybe I should look into that too. Also, thanks for the MA advice, hadn't thought of it that way, def worth bearing in mind!
    TC x