1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only good for supply... :(

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Sillow, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Sillow

Sillow Senior commenter

I'm not an expert, but I would highlight in any applications the fact that you've done supply to gain experience in a range of settings and have massed fabulous behaviour management skills and, if you've been with the same class for a longer-term supply before, have managed progression of learners. Talk about how working in different schools has given you excellent communication skills and make sure HTs know you by name, so you can ask for references.
    Sorry, you're probably already doing all this anyway. If it makes you feel better, I'm not doing supply and still haven't had any interviews.
    Good luck with it all.

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Supply is no easy option and gives a great deal of professional development. I always have had a great deal of time for those who have done supply.
    Are you presenting this positively, therefore, in your applications? Sillow is Bang On Target with his/her post.
    Let's look at what you gain from doing supply. The supply teaching has given you flexibility and versatility, allowed you to observe a variety of different classroom practices and learn from them,, improved your classroom management skills from dealing with a wide range of different pupils, from the too-compliant to the downright difficult. You have gained self-reliance, have learnt to work co-operatively with colleagues in different types of schools, you are able to deal with difficult situations (and difficult people), you have experience of a wide range of year groups. You have become a much more effective teacher than you were before, and are very grateful for these opportunities.

Are you setting all this out in the letter, right at the beginning, getting it all in before you even mention the word "Supply"?

Since successfully completing my PGCE in xxx I have been able to acquire etc etc etc through a series of contracts as a supply teacher. (You can easily write a whole paragraph on the benefits of supply and what it will enable you to bring to this school).

Make sure that you get someone who you've worked for in a school to write one of your references, and get him/her to include the phrase "Would appoint without hesitation if I had a vacancy". Get into your letter that schools asked for you by name from the agency (but only if true, not if not!), that you had repeat postings because you were a valued colleague.
    In other words, don't be apologetic, supply is great preparation for the day-to-day of teaching.
    And I do hope that you are noting all those posters who say "the executive summary worked for me - I got no interviews until I used it"
    Best wishes

3. Sorry for the late reply. I am catching up with things here as kept away for a while.

I qualified back end of 09, in the December and have just landed myself a job in my preferred age group in a school that I have never supplied in. (also in the same city as you are) I work my ass off for my agency, and am currently in a long term, but until last week I was having the same doubts as you, although i have been through a number of very traumatic interviews due to blatent discrimination against my disabilities. I am dyslexic, and have hearing impairment and also have a number of other long term health conditions.

Do not give up, you WILL get something. I became dissillusioned and thought my dream was one thing, when in fact it was actually another.

I didn't get shortlisted in a school I stayed till 8pm to do an afterschool learning opportunity for a class to prevent it from being cancelled. I was gutted, but now realise i would not actually want to work there.

So please try and stay positive, something will come up, I got really lucky recently and got a long term in a lovely (ofsted satisfactory school)

You must put a positive slant on your supply career, I always say when asked that supply is my biggest and most positive aspect of professional development that I have done, because I have seen and taken part in so many different experiences.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Exactly!
    I spell it out in here:
    Dear Theo- work history too bitty and too much supply- help!
    Well done! I am really pleased for you.
    Best wishes

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

I realisethat this is an old thread but the lack of rexcognition of supply teachers inthe new format led me, an ex supply teacher, to see what was going on.

Rowntreegirl, your post probably qualifies as the least helpful and most disparaging and smug in the history of these forums.

I sincerely hope that the OP has found permanent work in a nice school.

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Inky, don't get mad at RowntreeGirl who is probably reflecting the view of some Heads.

I personally have a lot of respect for supply teachers, and am not the only one. But it is up to you to prove how valuable you are in your application.

Do follow my advice over this.

<h1>NEW!</h1>
    I have started writing Blogs - have a look, click on the BLOGS at the top

Best wishes

Meet Theo on line on the TES JobSeekers Forum, or in person at one of the TES Careers Advice Service seminars or individual consultations

7. elvispenhaligon

elvispenhaligon New commenter

Don't sweat it. They will have just hired Mrs Jones from MFL's husband or someone who the head plays golf with. This is what happens. Do some prodding and find out who it really was they hired and what their relation to the bigger picture was. I got my first job by word-of-mouth....don't underestimate networking and being "on side". Sadly, the application process is only a part of the hiring process.

8. i am so pleased you started this thread a year ago! this is exactly my position now after graduating in 2011! Currently working on an application for a school i supply a very regularly so i will definitely be using the advice people have given! hope you've had some success :)

9. jp1208

jp1208 New commenter

Hi all, am currently thinking about supply.

I have heard that if you apply to a school you have supplied in that school, if they employ you have to "buy you out" for a large fee?

How accurate is this information?

10. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

That depends on the agency you are with. One of my agencies made a big thing of the fact that they never charge schools a 'finders fee'. Check what your agency's policy is.

11. jp1208

jp1208 New commenter

OK will do thanks, did you find you could make a decent living from supply or is it too hit and miss?

12. agathamorse

It is very hit and miss. Started Feb, had 3 days over 3 weeks, then got long-term supply to the end of summer. This term, had only one and a half days (and I was registered with 3 agencies!). It is hard to make a living at it. Very thankful I now have a full-time job starting after half-term.

13. jp1208

jp1208 New commenter

Thanks for the info.

Good luck with your new job!

14. agathamorse

Thank you!