1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only for oldies ans those with long memories

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 14, 2016.

1. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

Children's Hour

Dragonlady30 likes this.
  2. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Radio 4 extra still broadcasts many of these old shows. Also the radio Iplayer has them as well. I frequently listen to Round the Horne, The men from the ministry, The Clitheroe Kid, Al Reid, I'm sorry i'll read that again and many other classics. youtube also has quite an archive of old stuff.

3. blazer

blazer Star commenter

WAKEY WAKEY!

4. JohnJCazorla

JohnJCazorla Star commenter

I'm barely an Oldie (52) but I certainly don't have a long memory anymore.

5. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Oh, Gawd.

Billy Cotton.

The Black and White Minstrel Show.

Leslie Crowther.

Harry Worth.

Al Read (love Al Read).

Cliff Michelmore.

6. anotherauntsally

anotherauntsally Lead commenter

I remember most of the others but I don't really remember Flash Gordon. I remember Dan Dare, though - and Life with the Lyons, The McFlannels (maybe only in Scotland?), Uncle Mac and loads more. I also remember the Today programme as far back as Jack de Manio - My mum used to listen to it then and it was always on in the morning.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

We wrote to Uncle Mac with a request for "I am a mole and I live in a hole". Never got played for us though. I loved the story records - Tubby the Tuba and Sparky's Magic Piano plus anything by Danny Kaye.
    I live in a h o l e - Gee whiz!!!

8. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

He was and like many extremely gifted entertainers he suffered with depression/anxiety.

9. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

Wakey Waaaaaaaaaa-ya! Oh, no! The Billy Cotton Band Show. When that was on the Light Programme, on Sunday afternoons, there was a stampede for the off switch, may Dad usually getting there first..

Dixon of Dock Green makes me think of winter Saturday evenings and having baked beans on toast for tea.

10. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

Has anyone mentioned 'whacko' Jimmy Edwards?

11. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

12. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

I was 1960s kid but some of the earlier stuff hung over into my childhood. My aunt used to give me old leftover annuals from the previous decade, like Film Fun, Lion and Tiger, so I knew quite a few of the names from that era. The radio listening habit my Mum had picked up as a child were passed on to me, so I grew up with The Clitheroe Kid, Al Read, and I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again. Having later graduated to Monty Python and Fawlty Towers it only struck me recently just how much of my day to day vocabulary has been scripted by John Cleese.

Although I didn't listen to Round The Horne in the 60s, I love the faux folk ballads of Rambling Syd Rumpo, played by Kenneth 'Ooh Matron' Williams:

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

What about Arthur Haynes then?

Funnily enough, I thought about him today when a girl dressed in an RAC jacket and the hat that Nikita wore in Elton John's video to fend off the cold was standing outside the doorway of Asda and tried to flog me breakdown cover.

I remember a classic sketch in which Arthur Haynes was driving something like a Morris Minor down a single track lane and met a cravat-wearing **** coming the other way in a Bentley. They discussed who ought to reverse back to let the other one pass for a bit, then just before it came to blows, a motorcycle pulled up behind with a uniformed rider dressed in the attire of the soldiers of the Royal Automobile Club, who then separated them and asked what it was all about.

At some point he noticed that the Bentley had an RAC badge, saluted the toff and insisted that Arthur Haynes was in the wrong and would need to reverse, but just as he was complaining that he wouldn't be put upon by people he spent the war up to his neck in muck and bullets fighting, another motorbike pulled up with a representative of the AA.

Arthur pointed to the AA badge on his car and told him to sort out the RAC man, while he and the toff stood next to each other, lighting each others' fags as they watched the two knights of the road wrestle each other on behalf of their members.

In the end a copper came along and separated them, then to resolve the matter, produced a tape measure to see who had driven the furthest down the lane, with their agreement that the one nearest the end would reverse back. It turned out that the toff lost, which Arthur felt chuffed about. Once the Bentley had gone, Arthur asked the copper if he could tell him the way to XXX and the copper told him he'd driven past it on his way.

It's funny how you remember things like this, ain't it?

14. Incommunicado

Incommunicado Established commenter

And "Round the Horne" on the radio after Sunday lunch. I remember the farmer Arthur Fallowfield saying "for years I was involved in animal husbandry.... until one day they caught me at it!"
    Top of the Form.... a quiz for schoolchildren that resembled University Challenge today.

Children's Hour on the radio.... riveting stuff... who decided to end it?

Listen with Mother on the radio... precious respite for busy mums with children.

Double Your Money, Take Your Pick.

Popeye the Sailor

Tonight - with Cliff Michelmore.

The Ken Dodd Show.

Where are the likes of these now?

15. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

The first time I remember crying watching television was around the 2 minute mark of this episode, when Swee'pea runs away from home. I was 4 or 5 - not in 1939!

16. gooddays

gooddays Senior commenter

Oh, yes, we watched these.