1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only for oldies ans those with long memories

Discussion in 'Personal' started by oldsomeman, Jan 14, 2016.

1. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

A friend was talking to me the other day and started to jog my memory.
    The actors and artistes long gone
    such a Dixon of dock green,Mother Riley. Auther askey Roy Rogers and Zorro
    listening to workers playtime on the radio music while you work, in town tonight, Wilfred pickles and Mabel lol
    Age is a wonderful thing i can remember this but hardly know one modern music player or cinema star.

2. Dragonlady30

Dragonlady30 Star commenter

Paul Temple, Jimmy Clithero, Navy Lark............

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

'Once again we stop the mighty roar of London's traffic to bring you some of the stars of stage, screen and radio who are in town tonight!'
    I remember it well.

oldie, are you going to walk round London to see the Lumiere exhibition that is on till Sunday?

4. oldsomeman

Quatermas and Tarzan.and wasnt there the one who fought Ming

5. oldsomeman

6. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

The last is easily fixed.
    It is good the past holds many worthy memories but it is still worth making new ones whilst you can :)

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. oldsomeman

listen at times it hard to remember what i did yesterday.life is so boringly similar
    Actually i wouldnt even know who is in the charts.....but i might have a stab at the 1960;s when once i was young

8. oldsomeman

oh in wandering i have rediscovered my old favourite .the music of Eric Coates.

9. oldsomeman

wheres that on Lascarina?
    i didnt know there was one...although i live i London i often miss such things

10. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

All round central London buildings are lit up. Google it. I'd go for a look if it weren't so cold.

11. NellyFUF

NellyFUF Lead commenter

The Angus Prune Show?
    Sing Something Simple with the Mike Sam Singers. Worldwide Family Favourites?

12. oldsomeman

and i didnt realise Coates wrote the tune of desert island dics

13. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

He'll be whistling this tune if he does

14. oldsomeman

cheers i will.and it is cold.near to freezing here to night

15. grumpydogwoman

grumpydogwoman Star commenter

Evenin' all!

16. Jolly_Roger1

Jolly_Roger1 Star commenter

I remember the Clitheroe Kid from Sunday lunchtimes, on the Light Programme, after the Navy Lark. When it transferred to the television as Just Jimmy, in about 1970, it just reeked of perv.

17. lexus300

lexus300 Star commenter

The third man (Harry Lime), Maigret (is my spelling correct?), The Goons and Telly Goons....... happy days.

racroesus likes this.
  18. TCSC47

TCSC47 Star commenter

Children's Favourites, Frank Crumit, The Prune Song. Although from the 1920's it was played a lot on 50's and early 60's radio.

Duke of York likes this.
  19. Duke of York

The only Telly Goons sketch that stuck with me all my life was one where Henry Crun was a lighthouse keeper working at the top of his lighthouse when the phone rang. He had to walk all the way down the spiral staircase to the bottom to answer it, but just as he got there, it stopped ringing. He trudged all the way back to the top, muttering to himself, and having reached the landing, the phone started ringing again.

Spike Milligan was a genius in satirising the frustrations of everyday life succinctly in absurd comedy like this.

20. Duke of York

Love it. What a simple life it was in those days.