1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only answer if you have more than 3 stone to lose...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cosmos, Jan 12, 2011.

1. 7 mile powerwalks 3 times a week then a 12 mile powerwalk at the weekend. This eventually built up to 9 miles 3 times a week and 16-20 at the weekend.

2. Wow PFF, that is an amazing amount of exercise. I am doing 3-4 miles brisk walking with the dog each day and trying to get 2 swims in per week. I would really like to do tai chi and will investigate after retirement in 4 weeks time!!!!!
    No periods - am well and truly post menopausal
    Measuring - hhmmmm, I'm scared of the numbers!

3. reallynearlythere

reallynearlythere New commenter

Crikey! How on earth do you fit all that in? Have you got access to 28 hours in your day? I can just about whizz the dog around the village for 30 minutes twice a day.

4. 7 miles powerwalking would take less than 2 hours. We made time to fit it in because we needed to be fit enough to do 26.2 miles and lots of people had sponsored us!
    Now I can barely walk at all and it is driving me mad [​IMG]

5. reallynearlythere

reallynearlythere New commenter

Go on, take a sicky, prove all those people right who say that public sector workers are never in work. After all, you don't want to have to walk around school like a chicken tomorrow do you?

More seriously, well done you, I wish I had that motivation or that it would stay light a little longer in the evenings.

6. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Ah, but it IS getting lighter in the evenings! I took the dog out tonight at 5 pm and it wasn't quite dark when we got back at 5.30. (In time for Christmas Cake! I did think about putting it out for the birds, but then there was MORE on special offer in Markies and so I have ended up with another 2 cakes - but they were REAL bargains.....)
    But, I am sticking to the smaller plate thing, and despite my efforts to pile the food higher, I am deffo eating smaller portions...

7. Oh lardy, you shocker! Stay away frm Markies!!!
    Well done with the smaller plates though, I've being doing that too and although there was no weight loss this week i shall keep on because it is bound to make a difference eventually. The other thing that helps me is that I eat slowly so feel fuller quicker. Mr C bolts his food so has to eat more to feel full, which is why he looks like a football. Hah!

8. okay - what's going on? I stood on the scales five minutes ago and they read 13.13 so that means a 5lb loss this week. yesterday I was 14.4......
    Time for new scales?

9. No. Time to stop weighing yourself too much,
    Pick a time and a day once a week and stick to it. Weight can fluctuate massively just in a day so having a fixed time is a much better and more accurate picture of your progress. I can stand on the scales and be one weight, then eat dinner and be much lighter than 2 hours before!

10. I normally weigh myself first thing Monday morning but I couldn't resist a sneaky peek yesterday. 6 days; 7 days - I didn't imagine there would be that much difference!
    Anyway, if this morning's reading was indeed accurate, I have now lost 11lbs!!!!!!
    Now if I were a 'sleb' that would mean I had dropped at least three dress sizes - hah! Chance would be a fine thing.....

11. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

I have lost a total of a quarter of a pound this week. Humph. However - exceptional circumstances this weekend, unwell last week. I've walked tonight and am back on track. No alcohol for a while either!
    Hang on in there, ladies!

12. All seems well for you ladies (maybe men who knows!). I am just watching Biggest loser, I always find it inspires me not to slip. I started watching it at 4am back in Feb and March when my baby was born and it made me more determined to lose weight. I know watch it to make sure I keep going.
    I will never forget the sight of my belly after the c-section, it drives me that image! This is the longest I have ever stuck to a 'lifestyle change'.
    So folks what do you use to drive you not to slip?
    GEO X

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I lost another pound on the Christmas Cake Diet!! Still can't run for more than 60 seconds at a time, though.....

14. May I join you? I think (hell, I KNOW, who am I kidding?) I qualify.
    I too am a bit intimidated/put off by slimming threads regarding losing three pounds when the writer only weighs 8st 6lbs anyway! Oh I wish....(I know it doesn't matter what the starting weight...if you want to lose a bit, you want to lose a bit....but I think I relate better to those with several stones to lose.)
    So many online threads involve gym bunnies, or those attending classes and counting points or having red, green or orange days. I know myself. Slimming groups and 'eating plans' involving counting and weighing are not for me...and gyms bore me stupid. I cannot afford membership of clubs or gyms either, so I have to do it myself...sensibly and with some determination.
    That's where I slip up. My determination wavers. I give up on myself. My weight has been creeping up since 2005...and because I am less active than I used to be, and post menopausal too, (I am mid 50s) it just clings to me.
    I went on holiday in January and have just seen the holiday snaps. I look gross....AND I was sitting (in some of the pics) next to a woman I thought bigger than me.[​IMG]
    Ideally I need to lose five stones. I'll settle for getting the first stone off, because like I said, I start to lose weight and then give up on myself. I am a size 20 now. I have to apply the brakes.
    I like walking but don't do it often because...well....I don't push myself to do it. Walking is my favourite exercise but I do have my man's exercise bike in the hall so could cycle for a while every day. Yes, you guessed it. The bike tends to be used as a coat stand.
    I also have some fairly recent exercise DVDs so perhaps I should actually play them and do the necessary movement!! (They are still in their cellophane wraps.)
    I seem unable to motivate myself or summon up the necessary willpower. Perhaps that is low-level depression/self-hatred? If I stick to a plan and see results I am hoping my willpower will strengthen.
    So far today I have had two Weetabix with semi-skimmed milk, two mugs of tea, a banana and a coffee.....fresh but again with a splash of semi-skimmed milk. A bit carb-heavy, I know, but (now have signed up!) I am going to make a pot of vegetable soup for lunch.
    Lovely to read about the plans and determination of others. I hope it lifts me and inspires me to do this seriously and long term. Thanks.

15. Weekend away full of indulgences, but 7 mile walk yesterday so don't feel so bad. Running tonight too.

16. Hello everyone. I've been inspired reading this thread and feel I realy need to tackle my weight before I get even fatter. I've just been having a bit of a sort out and found a pair of jeans I used to wear about 4 years ago. I would love to wear jeans again but feel much too fat to do so. I have a lot going on at the moment but think I would have so much more energy if I weighed less. I need to lose about 3.5 stones and get fitter too.
    I will think of a plan and then try to stick to it. Keep up the good work.

17. Hello firmand fruity - love the name!
    my plan is to ruthlessly cut out sweet things- no cake, chocolate, biccies etc. I can't control myself and can't afford therapy so they just have to go. otherwise, it is a question of relearning to cook without butter, cream and all those things that made food taste soooooooooooo good.
    Fortunately I love veggies, salad and fruit so filling up on those is not a problem.
    Oh, and vigorous walking, as much as possible. dog is looking at me so shall have to go even though it is still dark!

18. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

This might be useful cosmos -
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/content/recipes/healthy/
    Lots of nice ideas - the recipes also have reviews from people who have tried them.
    I don't think the recipes tell you the calorie content specifically but you can search by calorie range if you really want to. But there are plenty of healthy ideas generally.

19. Rosiegirl - what a find, thank you. I don't have any classes until afternoon so I'm planning to go through the website in more detail and make up a list of ideas and ingredients. Feeling quite enthusiastic.

20. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Senior commenter

If you register with the site you can create your own binder for all the recipes you fancy - saves trawling through the whole lot every time.