1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only answer if you have more than 3 stone to lose...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cosmos, Jan 12, 2011.

1. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

How's everyone doing? Not giving in, but staying strong I hope, ladies!

2. Have had a good day today and found it all easy to resist. AWay for weekend for the first time ever with mr c so am going to try to be good. we are taking our running stuff too though.

3. Everyone seems to be doing so well. I think i have a cold coming on though, I've been tired and hungry all weeks and I've given in to temptation too many times. I think I will have to write this week off and start afresh when I feel better.
    Congrats to everyone though, there are some pretty good achievements on here.

4. One thing that might be helpful is if we share recipes or food tips. I cannpt be bothered with counting calories or points etc... so sometimes fall foul - what I think is ok can turn out to be laden with baddies!
    So, tonight I am having 2 egg plain omelette with baked potato (NO butter) and tomato salad. Does that sound ok? Could I add a spoon of cottage cheese to potato? Will have a glass of wine so that has to be factored in.

5. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

I would break my 'diet' in a second if I was eating something so plain! Try adding some fresh herbs to your omlette, and there's not reason you can't chuck a bit of onion and diced tomato into the pan first for some extra flavour with no extra calories As for the potato, how about adding a spoonful of light philadelphia? If you buy the one with chives in it's even tastier and fewer calories and fat than butter. That said, I'd just used the butter (Lurpak light) if it was me. You could add a couple of spoonfuls of baked beans over the potato as an alternative, low-fat, extra fibre, extra protein option.

6. Eva, thank you for your suggestions. I actually like cottage cheese so it's no hardship to eat the stuff. When I said plain I meant without a filling, I often add chives or whatever is growing in the garden. Tomato salad will have olive oil and basil in it. Hopefully that will be a tasty and healthy supper.

7. Some one said about swapping food tips. One of my favourites is as follows;
    Tuna (in brine or springwater not oil)
    Red and green pepper (chopped into biggish chunks)
    Sweetcorn
    Basil infused olive oil and a few freash basil leaves out of the garden (or tesco).
    all put with pasta and the chilled in the fridge. I think this makes a great lunch or something to take a couple of spoon fulls of when the hunger really strikes.
    On the weight loss side I have lost another 2lb this week! That takes me to the magical total of 4 stone 6lb! And under 13 stone..... woohooo! When you're reading mine don't forget I had a baby in Feb and I took my heaviest weight reading the day before I had Ollie. I still have about 2 1/2 stone to go. I get the feeling this will be the hardest bit. Though with the illness I have at the moment (flu ish) I have hardly eaten today, maybe I will have lost more weight.
    Well done to all of you!
    GEO

8. Well done to you too geology. I know tuna is good for you but I boycotted the stuff years ago....
    I find the trouble with this losing weight malarkey is that I worry about eating certain foods that really are ok if eaten in moderation. For example, am planning pasta tonight with a tomato sauce and salad. Nothing wrong with that right? But I know that I have to cut down on carbs if I am to lose weight so I am now fretting about eating pasta even though I haven't had any for over a month.
    I have a tendency to become slightly obsessive which can't be good.

9. fantastischfish

I agree! This is exactly what drove me bonkers about WW and similar diets. Constantly worrying about how many point were in everything sent me insane to the point where I'd come home from the supermarket with barely enough food to make a decent meal that evening. I didn't ever buy, much less eat, cheese, red meat of any sort, potatoes...all sorts of things.
    Now, I have a much better relationship with food. I eat basically anything I like, so long as I'm not eating when I'm not hungry. This means I rarely eat outside of mealtimes now (although some people say it's better to eat little and often, I just don't see the point of eating if you are not hungry, just for the sake of it).

10. This is what I did, I just cut down amounts but still eat anything. Although I have completely cut out crisp, as they are my biggest downfall. This is the longest period of weight loss (and maintained) since I was a skinny size 8/10.
    GEO

11. ****** outrageous! Not one ****** pound lost this week. Not one!!!!!!! I have walked around 14 ****** miles, given up ****** butter, not one ****** sweetie, only one ****** glass of wine per evening and NOT ONE POUND.
    This is not on. What do I have to do? I am so annoyed.

12. fantastischfish

I'm so sorry Cosmos, it must be soooo disheartening! You can do it, don't give up.

I'm afraid, however, that you might have to give up the alcohol altogether for a little while at least - it really does contain a lot of calories, even just one glass.
    Additionally, perhaps you need to look at portion sizes? I find that when I weigh stuff I end up with a much smaller portion size which is perfectly satisfying. I do eat silly portions which is the main reason I don't lose weight....once I start being careful, I find the weight comes off easier, even if I don't limit the foods I eat.

13. mountains of salad and green vegetables (no butter, no oil), everything else has been much smaller. I've found a smaller plate which helps to keep portions down. No snacking inbetween meals, I have even taken the skin off chicken which,as everyone knows, is the best bit. No second helpings...... aaaaggghhh.
    I shan't give up - for one thing, I'm much too cross. I shall not be beaten!
    New resolution -One glass of wine on a friday and saturday evening. None on school nights.

14. Have you been eating enough carbs for the exercise that you are doing? If you increase your activity significantly you need to be cautious of how much you reduce your calorie intake. If you reduce it too much the body will start storing up fat.

15. I think I have PFF, I have had some form of carbs with each meal - rice, baked potato, pasta last night. One slice of wholemeal toast every day for breakfast.
    Oh well, s*d it...... I will not be defeated.

16. Don't be defeated by it.
    I didn't lose weight for weeks when I was training for the moonwalk. Each week my exercise would increase significantly but my weight stayed the same due to the increase in muscle. However my body shape changed and I was very toned.
    There will be some weeks where you will lose, and some where you will maintain.

17. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

Cosmos, have you tried measuring yourself instead of weighing yourself? That's what I did when i was losing weight. I did weigh myself, but not frequently. I found that inch loss was more motivating too!
    What exercise do you do? I always have to exercise a lot to lose weight, and it doesn't seem to matter as much what I eat, although i'm careful.
    I lost 3 stone in 10 months for my wedding, then seemed to put it all back on when i got pregnant, then i lost it all again and now i'm pregnant again! My baby's due the end of April, but i imagine i'll be in the same position then! I'm going to be a bridesmaid for my friend next April, so I will be on a mission after this baby, so I will come and join you all then!!

18. fantastischfish

I can heartily recommend Cadbury's Highlights hot chocolate for a lovely drink to unwind with in place of mid-week alcohol. A splash of milk adds a bit of creaminess.
    A also keep a bowl of sugar-free jelly in the fridge, which is great for an after dinner sweet snack (despite being sugar-free, it does give you a sweet fix and is very satisfying to slurp off the spoon, much to the annoyance of my boyfriend who looks at me with disgust but known he cannot say anything because I put up with his noisy chewing).

19. reallynearlythere

reallynearlythere New commenter

What training did you do PFF? Already walk the dog twice a day but thinking of buying a cross trainer - even if I don't use it I can use it for hanging the ironing on! Have you or anyone else got any advice as to what make/features are needed? There seems to be a huge range of prices for a novice like me.

20. Hi Cosmos - just to say have you taken your period into consideration as well? Your body stores up water the week before your period is due - could this be the reason?
    Other than that, just to share that I have lost over 2 stones with - Tai Chi. I know it does not look like like hard exercise, but looks are deceptive :) And I absolutely love it. Still losing with it, too!