1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only answer if you have more than 3 stone to lose...

Discussion in 'Health and wellbeing' started by cosmos, Jan 12, 2011.

1. I should love to have support and encouragement to lose the excess weight I am carrying, but cannot be a diet buddy to anyone who only put on 2lbs over Christmas or who is fretting about being just over 81/2 stone.(sorry girls).
    If, like me you should be trying to lose 3-4 stones, would you like to try together? I can do it if I have someone to battle with.
    Happy to share food tips or whatever.

2. ROSIEGIRL

ROSIEGIRL Established commenter

Hello all.
    I'm a size 20 - weight put on gradually over time.
    I need to try and lose weight but in a steady way - my additional complication is a daughter with anorexia and 2 others who are underweight too, so food is a very sensitive and complicated issue in our house, as you can imagine.
    I haven't been on the scales for years so that has to be my first step!

3. Hi all,

I wanted to offer you some words of encouragement. In the last 14 months I have lost 4 stone. I was 14.5 stone at the start and a size 18. Now I weigh just under 10.5 and am a size 12. It can be done!

I had a lot of stress which resulted in a big life overhaul which included changing my eating habits. Once I realised I was losing weight I started making an active effort with my diet and the results have been great. My tips are:

(1) 3 meals a day. Today I had special K with blueberries, soup, an apple and a banana at school and stir fry for dinner followed by more blueberries with grapes and yoghurt.

(2) Do treat but only very occassionally (sorry!). I go out on a Saturday and have a frothy coffee and a bit of cake but that is the only naughty food I will eat that week.

(3) Don't buy it. I know I am not very controlled with certain foods so I don't buy them. Bread is an example for me, I can happily sit and eat half a loaf, so I just don't buy any.

(4) Exercise. I actually lost the bulk of my weight without any exercise but when I finally did join the gym I found it does wonders for my mental well being and you can also use the calories for something nice - 500 calories in the gym = nice bit of cake.

(5) Hidden nasties - did you know that in a medium cappuccino from somewhere like Costa there are around 3-400 calories? Things like salad dressings can be terrible too. Switch to regular coffee with skimmed milk or green tea and have a vinegarette dressing.

(6) Portion sizes - I started weighing stuff and realised I was eating double the amount of pasta/ rice/ cereal recommended for a person on the packet. The calories from this really mount up and when you start weighing your portions you realise that you aren't any hungrier.

Good luck - hope it helps.

Arc x

4. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Good ideas Cosmos, trouble is I am supply and so have been home all this week and have no lovely colleagues to fatten up. This awful weather makes me want to comfort eat. Fish fingers and mash for tea, no butter etc. I am being a lazy toad this week, although i did two gym classes on saturday and one on monday plus a longish walk. MY OH took dog out today so i had an excuse to stay in the warm. I will be better soon :)

5. gergil4

gergil4 New commenter

Hi - I'm in! I joined one of the other diet threads but it seems to have fizzled out! I dog walk every day, but I've also started fast walking on my own and I've stuck in there for over a week now!! I have in truth about 5 stone to lose, but 3 would be a great start. I worked out that if I lose 2lb a week then I should manage 4 stone by the summer holidays. Slim in france - mmmm! My downfall is evening snacking, so there's been none of that since back at school. All my chocs from the children remain unopened and I can cope with that, it's when I open a box that they're gone in a flash. Also, no puddings for the family. Fruit or yoghurt. I'm also trying to reduce the amount of potatoes on my plate, and less bread. I'm better without my husband around as I can do healthy far more easily!!!!!
    Anyway, good luck to all. Stick in there. Encouragement and tips are what we all need.

6. In addition to walking the dog ,I have also taken to walking into town to get the paper or whatever, instead of leaping into the car. It is 1 mile and all uphill - lovely on the way back though.
    I cooked myself a gorgeous supper last night, prawns in a fresh tomato sauce (very low fat, I think), there was quite a lot of it and, I'm ashamed to say, ate it all - so the problem is portion control. I find it hard to stop eating something Iam really enjoying.

7. my problem bigtime, if I am enjoying something I can eat beyond the full feeling, something I put down to many many childhood days of being made to clear my plate even if I was full.

8. , something I put down to many many childhood days of being made to clear my plate even if I was full.

Worse than that chillie - I was praised as a child for having a 'healthy appetite' - "look at that lovely clean plate", so being an attention seeking child, I would make it a point to eat everything even if, like you, I wasn't hungry. I still find it hard to leave anything on my plate. I somehow have to train myself to put less on it and then be rigorous about not having second helpings.

9. Count me in.
    I'm 5' 2" (if I stand up very straight) and weigh about 12st so I definitely need to lose a bit more than just a few pounds. Some support from people who need to do similar would be good.
    I also have the problem of OH wanting 'real' food which makes it difficult to be good with the evening meal - he, incidently, is one of those annoying people that does not put on any weight even if he tries.

10. Hi guys!
    How are you getting on?
    Just a tip (you probably already know) I swapped my plate for a dish. This is how I control my eating at night. A spoon full of rice and then a dish full of chilli, curry or what ever we are having. I also cut down potatoes, I have extra greens. I don't limit my greens.
    I put some of the weight loss down to our new school building, it is huge! I have form on the bottom floor and teach on the third.
    I think it would be good if we said how much we had lost per week or per post. We could encourage each other then
    GEO
    Total loss as of today 4 st 2 lb (still plenty to go though!)

11. I will count this as my day one and postweight loss as and when it occurs

12. Good girl chillie x
    Geo - WOW that is fantastic! Respect!!!!
    Chewing slowly really helps you to feel fuller sooner. I am going to find a smaller plate and bowl and just use those.
    Thanks for the tips so far.. I'll post my weight on Monday and we'll see how it is going.

13. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Hello. I promise I will try to be good and not say anything TOO outrageous. I love my food, perhaps that's why I am now (aged 55) weighing in around 14 stones (5 ft 6) and size 20 (on a good day, with the wind behind me....) I would love to get back to 11 stones. I know that's still above my ideal weight, but, from a 14 stone viewpoint, that's damned skinny!
    I love cake, can't ever walk away from cake. Similarly drink, yes, I will ALWAYS have another glass, if there's one going.... also I tend to eat half a pound of cheese whenever I am doing any sort of cooking.... special reward for standing in front of the cooker for hours of my life....
    Exercise. Hmm. Most exercise I get is lifting the cake to my fat mouth.
    But ... I expect I'll drop dead with heart failty if I don't lose some flabber, so I'm in.....

(Oh, but, I forgot to tell you, M&S have all the Christmas cake at half price, so I have about 3 of them in my larder....... can't start the diet till they've all gone, and then there's the chocolate Santas....)

14. Hello lardylegs, worry not, you are in good company here!
    Cheese - hmmm, not a mad cheese fan myself but could you swap usual for low fat? That might help. As for Christmas cake - you wretch! I adore C. cake and the fact that I gave mine away still makes me weep at night. Takes yours into the office as well as all the santas......
    I'm like you, I'd be deleriously (sp) happy to be 11 stone - lb by lb we'll all get there.
    confession....in a tiny voice.....I had a takeaway last night. Blush. No rice but there was a pancake roll. Ah well; extra long walk with the dog today then and just watch what I'm eating for the rest of the weekend.
    Weight on Monday girls

15. ROSIEGIRL

Lardylegs ... are you my long lost identical twin?

16. reallynearlythere

reallynearlythere New commenter

Me too please. Have been looking at WW but brain keeps telling me I don't need to pay money to eat sensibly. Am I the only one who eats when fed up and stressed in school? I am plucking up courage to go on a singles holiday in the summer and know it would be so much better if I didn't look like a stranded whale so any motivation would be gladly received. Not sure I would be brave enough to publish data on a graph though :(

17. ROSIEGIRL

I know what you mean, reallynearlythere - I still havent even got on the scales, never mind putting stuff on a graph!
    Because of our rather difficult family issues with food I need to do this in a low key way - I just want to get on with it slowly and quietly through eating healthily, without analysing everything too much. That may not be realistic, I don't know.
    I think it will be helpful to come on here for a bit of encouragement and some ideas. So, although I still haven't weighed myself, over the last few days I have had 3 normal meals with no afters or snacking and that, for me, is good!

18. PlymouthMaid

PlymouthMaid Occasional commenter

Well, not many xmas chocs left tp demolish now, almost down to 'strawberry cream urggg time'. Have just down two gym classes and walked home despite OH's kind offer of a lift, Maybe it will make up for my lazy behaviour for most of this week. I am blaming it on mild depression caused by weather and lack of work.

19. Send them to me PlymouthMaid.......I LOVE Strawberry creams!

20. reallynearlythere

reallynearlythere New commenter

No pinkflipflop! no! We are meant to be eating less not more!