1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Only 26 supply days this year... the worst by far!

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by cole1978, Mar 23, 2019.

1. bounceback

bounceback Occasional commenter

I think it can also depend on the consultant you work with. I joined 2 agencies last year. The consultant at one of them was hopeless. She left after one term and was replaced by someone much more proactive who offered me a fair bit of work. However, by then I was getting enough work through the other agency so had to decline much of the work offered. I don't want longer term roles anymore, but find that doing day to day seems to be the way into longer term roles as once a school gets to know you, you are more likely to be offered maternity / long-term sickness cover roles.

JohnJCazorla and lynneseptember like this.
  2. timson6

timson6 New commenter

I have been doing supply for a while now and I've had far less work offerred this year than during any other. I've mainly been replaced by LSAs and HLTAs as they do what I offer - day to day supply and PPA cover at almost half the price. In fact I saw an advert yesterday in my local newspaper for an HLTA to cover PPA and teacher absences at £70 a day. So with restricted budgets in schools I'm not surprised at the current situation.
    I don't mind as I'm just about retired and can see how things have changed in schools and not necessarily for the better.
    Was in year 6 the other day and everywhere I looked there were maths/english SATS practice papers - even the head was coming in each morning for intensive SATS practice.!One final push to try and raise the children's levels.
    I am just talking about primary, secondary may well be different.

pepper5, JohnJCazorla and agathamorse like this.
  3. timson6

timson6 New commenter

Also, there's been an increase in the number of half days offerred. Until this year, they were quite rare. But I suppose it's budgets again, every penny counts.Also I've had a few more cancelled days. A school makes a booking, then phones back later to cancel since they've "managed to fill the current/future absence internally." You need endless tolerance and patience as a supply teacher to absorb all the irritants and niggles the job throws at you.

4. agathamorse

agathamorse Occasional commenter

Secondary day to day has all but dried up near me. Cover Supervisors do it. The only regular day to day is in a hellhole high where the cover supervisors are regularly off ill. Strangely that school needs new cover supervisors almost every term.

5. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

So sorry to hear that but not in the least bit surprised. I changed my role from supply teacher to TA because I could not get enough work each year. It was very stressful. I can remember when I first started supply and PPA cover had just come in that the council would say, "Which age group would you like?" because there was so much choice.

pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  6. blazer

blazer Star commenter

Doing a week at a lovely school leading up to Easter. They want me back for 6 weeks after Easter but I am not available as I have a holiday booked.

Jesmond12, agathamorse and peakster like this.
  7. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

Ive had everyday since september. A 3 day cover on the first day in september became a week, then month, then term, then the year.

peakster likes this.
  8. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

That is really good. You must be so relieved. There is nothing worse than waiting desperately for work.

agathamorse likes this.
  9. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Try more primary. The last time we booked a supply, the nearest one we could get lived an hour and a half away, there was no one available closer!

pepper5 likes this.
  10. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

So happy days!
    Enjoy your paid holidays, sickness pay, pay to scale, employment protection rights. Teacher's Pension access, financial security ...

pepper5 likes this.
  11. schoolsout4summer

schoolsout4summer Star commenter

Hmmmm!

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  12. Robfreeman

Robfreeman Occasional commenter

I dont get any of those that's why I applied for a job at a local school. I used my year on supply so far to try things and get some confidence back but I do 110 mile round trip everyday. I found that the school was just glad that I was happy to plan lessons and follow their policies that I was able to try different techniques and plan lesson which will help me when I go back into full time teaching in September.

Supplylady, pepper5 and agathamorse like this.
  13. peakster

peakster Star commenter

110 miles - every day - that's insane

But I get the fact that you are using supply to get back into full time teaching.

That's what I did.

Supplylady and agathamorse like this.
  14. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

You're right. People do have enough going on without having to endure unkind comments.

agathamorse and pepper5 like this.
  15. The-Gaffer

The-Gaffer Occasional commenter

I've been lucky this year as most regular readers know but what's interesting is I know the person taking over from me after Easter who has been in the school since Christmas doing another subject is not a qualified teacher

It's not right what the agencies do

I suspect agency skulduggery to be costing us qualified professionals jobs

I know this to be true in my subject

Supplylady and agathamorse like this.
  16. MissGeorgi

MissGeorgi Occasional commenter

That’s odd. I’ve had a lot of work offered to me this year. Currently at a lovely school in Warwickshire.
    RE teachers are in huge demand. I did an RE mat post at one of the most prestigious independents in the West Midlands last summer, and I’m not even RE trained. Sorry, you don’t want to hear that, I know.
    Register with more agencies, or maybe even approach schools yourself if they’re not with your existing agency?

17. ABCCBA123321

ABCCBA123321 Occasional commenter

Pretty dire here - I've got limited availability so wasn't expecting tonnes of work but there's been hardly anything compared to previous years. I'm off to uni to retrain in September so given up now pretty much (I can't work the next week or so anyway for ill child related reasons).

agathamorse likes this.
  18. Oldfashioned

Oldfashioned Senior commenter

This has been my luckiest year in terms of work. I have done every day so far and am booked until July. 4 long term bookings. Quite the opposite to last year. Easter hols has wiped me out financially though. Will take several weeks to bounce back from 2 weeks without pay.