1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

only 1 dependent covered but I have 2.......

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mathmatty, Mar 31, 2011.

1. Mathmatty

Mathmatty New commenter

I hope the wise members of the forum can advise me in my current predicament

1) I have a job offer from a school in Doha..with one sticky point. The school is offering me only one dependent's expenses. flights and medical if my wife or flights,medical and tuition fees if my daughter.

I am thinking because school fees are £3000, my daughter will be my nominated dependent.....but

2) My wife is pregnant, and will give birth in Doha. What options for medical cover do I have for her and roughly what would this cost me - including the birth? How much would medical costs/cover be for a newborn?

I intend to speak to AXA and BUPA in the next couple of days...or should I be doing something else..

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated

2. Mathmatty

Mathmatty New commenter

I'm sure I formatted my post...

3. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

Brutal advice would be to find another job.

4. Mathmatty

Mathmatty New commenter

honesty appreciated... but is the cost really going to be that much??

5. Possibly, Karvol was implying that an unhelpful school might not be the place to go. Qatar has a couple of good top tier places and a host of S holes. What sort are you going to? Do you know?

6. See! Day time posting with no spelling errors. Night time littered with them...
    So, did you or did you not receive a PM about my wife? Come on little man.
    getting 'royally cheesed off' wouldn't be my reaction to being called a liar about this sort of thing. I'd be looking for addresses. I am happy for others to make their own minds up, and you know Bibbles, I think they have.
    Shall I report the ***? Nah, I'll let you off that one...
    And do you know, fart, even if you did have a heart attack or cancer and lost all four limbs and your head in a train crash, you're still a weak, pathetic annoying little person.

7. [​IMG]

8. Mathmatty

Mathmatty New commenter

Thanks for all the replies (except the ones where some of you were having a personal conversation:)

healthcare looks like it will cost £150-240 per month for my wife and the newborn.... seems a bit steep

9. Syria1

Syria1 New commenter

Healthcare insurance overseas is always expensive. Do check whether the insurance company will cover the birth and it is <u>essential</u> that you have substantial cover included for neo & post natal complications (preferably in excess of 2 million USD overall cover) because although they are <u>extremly rare</u>, it is very expensive if it does occur and you do <u>not</u> want to have to be dealing with an umsympathetic insurer during a birth with complications.

10. Karvol

Karvol Occasional commenter

If it is for both of them together it is pretty cheap. If it is individual it is a little pricey but no more than that.
    Insurance is always a bit of a gamble, but one you don't really ever want to lose. If you are covered for something and the illness or injury occurs, you will still be covered after the event. If you are not covered then you will find it extremely difficult for an insurer to be willing to cover you after the event.
    You make your choices and take your risk.

11. Mathmatty

Mathmatty New commenter

Panadol. I have PM'd you