1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online woes.

Discussion in 'Personal' started by towncryer, Aug 16, 2019.

1. towncryer

towncryer Senior commenter

I have just spent the best part of this afternoon trying to sort out one or two personal things (I had a short but important list) and found myself battling with online passwords and pin codes and forgotten details. I found it to be an absolute nightmare and now,finally,it is all done but it is the end of the day here and I seem to have wasted it in front of my laptop.

I really don't like the way everything is online and I worry about the future. I can see a time coming (perhaps it is already here) when we will be locked out of everything if we cant deal with the online world.I wonder how on earth I will be able to access my pension/savings etc as the online world becomes more advanced and (for me) more complicated.

Personally I find it all very intimidating. I am normally well organised and I have all my passwords noted down (shouldn't I know but how else am I supposed to remember them) but even then sometimes they don't work...maybe because I forgot that one of the letters is a capital when I wrote it down but can't remember which one. Then ID...for goodness sake. I have all my notes/numbers/passwords in front of me but then someone asks for a passport or driving license number and so I have to get up again and look for that.

I just feel like a bumbling old dinosaur battling insanely against a system that is never going to change but in fact is going to get worsel

Am I alone? How do you all cope with everything online?

2. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

What I do would give IT security a fit of the vapours, but like you I have all my passwords written down in a 'little black book' and I don't let sites store them either. The book is locked in our safe when we aren't using it. The likelihood of some north korean or russian hacker breaking into my house and forcing open my safe is, IMO, so low it's considerably less than the risk of it being hacked online. The only ones I don't write down are my bank card PINs, I can still remember them.

towncryer likes this.
  3. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

I have a file with a cryptic name (top security tip that, they'll never break my code).

In this file I have documents named after the website, TES, BT, Amazon, Netflix, Facebook etc. The contents of each one is like this:

TES
    username: Mangleworzle
    password: nB56f\/lJwq1S*

I make the password up when I register by typing randomly(ish) on the keyboard and copy and paste it into the box when logging on. Most of the time my browser remembers my passwords for me, occasionally I go and use the one from the file.

It works for me. I have a back-up of the file on an external hard drive.

There are currently 77 items in the folder.

*not my actual password - obvs.

grumpydogwoman and towncryer like this.
  4. towncryer

it's those kinds of passwords I really have trouble with...ones where you have to put a symbol/capital letter/ number. I do them and write them down but then the next time I use them they don't seem to work so I have to go through the whole rigmarole again after pressing "forgotton password" Then they issue a temporary one and you have to use it in a certain time or have to start all over again. It raises my blood pressure to new heights and frays my temper. Hubby keeps well away when I'm doing this sort of thing otherwise he becomes an innocent casualty of my foul temper brought on by online frustration.

cissy3 and ilovesooty like this.
  5. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Don't have passwords, have a policy.

Choose a consistent way of each website reminding you of the start of the password, then add the same suffix of random stuff for additional security

For example: Your policy = first 2 letters of the website name with the second capitalised, its domain type in reverse, plus a chosen suffix of numbers and characters (say £975!)

So if you have an account at britishgas.co.uk your password is bRkuoc£975!
    If you have an account at eBay.co.uk your password is eBkuoc£975!
    Youtube.com = yOmoc£975!

That way you don't need to write them down (inadvisable) or remember loads of individual passwords - the site's name will give you the prompt.

I used to tell password forgetting pupils to do this on the school system, but needless to say, they forgot.

6. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

The vet's receptionist would probably be able to hack most of my passwords.

I reasoned a long time ago that the only one I would be concerned about being hacked was the bank, so I made up a password that was significant enough to me for me to be able to remember it, but nobody else would ever be able to work out.

We get asked to have passwords for websites where it really doesn't matter if anyone hacks it such as the BBC, who only want to know that I have a TV licence if I watch TV live. Would it really be the end of the world if someone logged onto TES posing as me?

I just let the browser save passwords to save me the hassle. As mentioned earlier, you can always get a replacement password if things go wrong.

I take the view that as long as hackers are able to bypass the security on the Pentagon computers, there's little I will be able to do to stop them accessing anything on my computer, which has nothing of value to harm me on it if they did so.

Aquamarina1234 and towncryer like this.
  7. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Lead commenter

I feel,exactly the same@towncryer.

towncryer likes this.
  8. EmanuelShadrack

EmanuelShadrack Star commenter

Treepad, KeePass. and sometimes TrueCrypt and/or VeraCrypt. No need for anything else.

With a decent system, everything is easy. It takes a bit of thinking to set up, but once it is, it pays off for itself bigtime. (My working hypothesis however is that the system only works for introverts...)

I'd happily show anyone who's interested.

colpee and towncryer like this.
  9. EmanuelShadrack

I think they already have, several times. Some of the posts by your identity thieves are preposterous.

10. Jesmond12

Jesmond12 Star commenter

Completely agree as there are times when for some strange reason “liking” the posts!

EmanuelShadrack likes this.
  11. towncryer

I like this idea...and it might work. Thanks.but what's the domain?

12. towncryer

13. magic surf bus

The domain is the dot bit that follow the website name, for example .com, .co.uk, .org, .ac and so on.

towncryer likes this.
  14. Dunteachin

Dunteachin Star commenter

Dunty.com

towncryer likes this.
  15. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Agreed, a Password Manager is good, probably essential if you have a great many logins and passwords - and so simple!

EmanuelShadrack and towncryer like this.
  16. towncryer

oh thanks. see how ignorant I am about such things!

17. colpee

colpee Star commenter

A common but incorrect assumption @Duke of York. One could take the same view of home security; if someone really wanted to get in, they will, so no use making any particular effort to lock the doors. In fact a decent level of security goes a long way, both for our houses and computers.
    The Pentagon attracts many thousands of dedicated hackers, the vast majority of whom make no headway at all trying to overcome the security. But the clever hackers don’t just go for the system, they go for the people - phishing type attacks are quite fruitful for hackers trying to get into secure organisations - because people are always a weak link!

It’s the same for home computing - there are those people who open every email, click on email links, return phone calls , texts or email to strangers, store their passwords on bits of paper or in their browser, click the “fix your computer’ pop-ups etc etc. They are the targets for scams and hacks and are much more likely to have their data stolen and/or their computers used for malicious attacks on others- probably without ever knowing.

towncryer, cissy3 and EmanuelShadrack like this.
  18. EmanuelShadrack

Humm..., doesn't look quite like your style, and that doesn't look much like a dungeon to me:
    dunty-dot-com.JPG

19. magic surf bus

You might want to bag dunty.co.uk as well to avoid brand theft :)

Dunteachin and primarycat like this.
  20. colpee

colpee Star commenter

dunty.moon & dunty.mars would future proof as well!

Dunteachin and magic surf bus like this.