1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online/virtual learning due to Corona

Discussion in 'Welcome lounge and forum help' started by nconnolly, Mar 23, 2020.

1. nconnolly

nconnolly New commenter

Hi all,

just wondering if anybody has any experience with the the above. As a School we need to get something up and running after Easter, when Schools will still be closed, as a way of still providing quality education- as we are a fee paying prep school.

I have just come across ‘zoom’, looks like it could be used to hold a classroom meeting/chat.
    How easy is it to make videos eg of short Science demonstration and where would be the post place to post it?
    What online platforms would be good for a small school, approx 100 children.

I would really appreciate any thoughts/advice.

Many thanks

2. sparks

sparks New commenter

we use google classroom, but are a large (by 10x) your size, secondary.
    You need to consider student training on how to use the system too, not as straight forward as you might think.
    I use YouTube for videos - I screen-record my CAD demos, post them on line and on my dept web site.
    TBH I think you'll struggle - this is going to sound harsh, but it should have been up and running weeks ago.

Best bet is to ask IT to sign up to google education, make email addresses for all staff & kids, you record a video of how to make a class on google to show staff, then another to show kids how to access, answer & submit their work.
    If you've got powerpoints of lessons, and other online resources, then they need to be uploaded onto google classroom as well.

No doubt there are other online platorms, others may well sing their praises and probably very good, but this is my experience. YMMV.

Not quite what you wanted to hear, sorry.

timteachesenglish12 likes this.
  3. MissEHoney

MissEHoney New commenter

4. StrangePanda

StrangePanda Occasional commenter

Hi,

I'm not quite in the same situation as you, as I teach secondary in an international school. I am based in Hong Kong, and by tomorrow we will have completed 8 weeks of online learning. Our school has used Zoom successfully (I believe!) and there is definitely a record function. I have used this to record classes that have taken place in real time so that I can share them with students who are not in the same time zone. I have uploaded them to a google folder (by year group) that the appropriate students have access to. It has been a sensible solution to a difficult situation.

If I have learnt one thing in the past 8 weeks, it is that no matter what your school does, there will be people complaining. Everyone is stressed and a lot of this seems to get projected on to schools, especially in relation to perceived unfairness relating to the payment of fees.

Feel free to PM if you have specific questions...

timteachesenglish12 likes this.