1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online TV Recording?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by baconandegg, Dec 6, 2011.

1. Hi
    I'm looking for a website that our librarian can subscribe to that will enable us to record TV shows, download them and store them on our shared drive for teachers to use. Does such a thing exist?
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi
    I'm looking for a website that our librarian can subscribe to that will enable us to record TV shows, download them and store them on our shared drive for teachers to use. Does such a thing exist?
    Thanks in advance

3. autismuk

autismuk New commenter

There are such sites, periodically, but they tend to disappear because they are illegal (schools did used to have a license allowing it though, I don't know if this is still the case).
    There are software solutions like get_iplayer that will do the job for the various channels, though they tend to differ because all the channels have their own scheme at present.

4. resources4drama

resources4drama New commenter

From PRs (Performing Rights Society)

Can I Record a TV/Radio Programme and Show it at School?

This is not a PRS licence issue so long as the recording is for educational purposes - i.e.
    curricular use. However, schools can record television programmes and BBC radio for
    educational purposes provided they hold an appropriate licence from the ERA. A separate
    licence is needed for Open University programmes. Note that the licence is for off-air
    recordings only, not for copying commercial video tapes. For more information, see the ERA
    website (http://www.era.org.uk).

So, there is no copyright issue as long as you comply with the ERA stipulation, but the presumption is that you are making a copy onto a DVD / Video tape. not onto an accessible network, basicallly making it available for re-broadcast.
    So - record to DVD and put it on your network if you wish. However, what defines a programme is a separate issue (just because ITV shows a Bond movie doesn't mean you can record it for school).
    autismuk is correct about the illegality of sites / programs which allow you to record and store off-air.

5. JM6699

JM6699 New commenter

Have a look at ClickView. Might be as close as you get.

6. Thanks for all your help
    BandE