1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Tutors

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by maya9010, Mar 23, 2020.

1. maya9010

maya9010 New commenter

Hi everyone,

I've started a new Tuition Agency, just as I was about to start looking for tutors, COVID-19 thwarted my plans and I had to re-evaluate everything. I'm now looking Online tutors to join my agency. Before I do that though, I wanted to ask what sort of rates tutors charge for online tutoring? I seem to be getting mixed answers. I thought it would be the same as face to face, depending on experience and qualifications . Some are saying it should be cheaper, a few are saying more.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Boardingmaster

Boardingmaster New commenter

I currently get £170 an hour for online maths tutoring if that helps. I have no idea how much commission my agency adds on top of that.

I charge £90 an hour for face to face (or did before the virus hit). I charge more for online tuition the market is a lot bigger, plus when I started I was in touch with a number of agencies and so got to negotiate better rates. Supply and demand and all that.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  3. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

That's interesting, Boardingmaster. I was under the impression people expected to pay less for online. No petrol/travelling time for us.

4. Boardingmaster

I guess the difference is that the pool of people willing to pay higher rates is so much bigger when looking at the world stage rather than a 5 mile radius of my house. None of my online clients are UK based.

needabreak and lynden7 like this.
  5. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

Good point, Boardingmaster.

6. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

Wow, Boardingmaster, you're really going to have to let us know the name of that online agency!

7. jean_daligault

jean_daligault New commenter

Yeah, we want names! I have a PhD and tutor university students, but if it were not for forcing a very reduced workload, I'd be charging 30 or 35 an hour. 170 is something else.

8. Boardingmaster

I’m afraid the one I’m with isn't looking to expand their tutor list at the moment, but there are a number of agencies that offered in excess of 100 an hour, and I continue to be approached on linkedin by tutoring agencies. I guess the fact that I teach maths helps, as (almost certainly more importantly sadly) do the names of some of the schools and positions (the ex-housemaster part seems to be a big sell) on my CV.

9. CloudsTES

CloudsTES New commenter

You're probably right (heightened, I'm sure, in terms of the overseas market), although no doubt you're worth every penny! I can experience the same type of advantage when it comes to tutoring students who are mainstream, but may have some SEN difficulty (as opposed to more 'typical' SEN students, although I love to tutor these too), due to the amount of SEN experience and training I have, alongside my decent - if not out of the ordinary! - academic qualifications.