1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online tutoring.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by delenn, Mar 17, 2018.

1. delenn

delenn New commenter

Hi I am thinking of looking into online tutoring. A lot of companies deem to be advertising and I just wondered if anyone has any experience in this and if there are any companies they would recommend or any that I should avoid like the plague?

Thanks

2. humbug

humbug New commenter

Do you mean tutoring agencies, or companies employing tutors to train their staff?

I have done some online tutoring via an agency and also from personal recommendation. Both are tutoring via Skype. It means you can have students from further afield, and also avoids any potential problems with students coming to your house, or you having to travel to them. Don't be tempted to think it is less work and you should charge less though, as in my experience you need to be better prepared and on the ball.

hasslethehog likes this.
  3. Matt-Thompson

Matt-Thompson New commenter

I've been a full time online tutor for the past 6 years and there are many advantages to tutoring this way, including more flexibility, greater earning potential and a better learning experience for the student.

[This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

What is it you need most help with at the moment? Choosing a tutoring agency, finding your own students or perhaps which tools to use when tutoring online..?

thesmoothgroove likes this.
  4. delenn

delenn New commenter

I've seen adverts about teaching English via an online portal for students in China for example as well as others but I want to be careful because I know that some can be dodgy. Also recommendations of agencies.

5. Hi Delenn - I've taught online through English Live/Englishtown. Lessons were pre-written by the company that saved a lot of time and all the students were well-motivated.
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

I've since looked at teaching Social Studies/Literature/ESL online through Course Craft which gives me a lot more flexibility.

What subjects/levels do you teach?
    Are you interested in collaborating on a course?
    Good luck with your teaching journey, if there's any way I can help, let me know.

6. Natz85

Natz85 New commenter

Hi there, I've just stumbled across this thread which is of interest to me! I have registered with Tutorful, TutorHunt and First Tutors to extend my group tuition portfolio but I am now more interested in Online Tutoring! I have set myself up as a tutor already and have considerable experience but would like to venture into the online world! For those of you who do it full time, how did you get started? It seems to make sense to me (at first I as completely against it!) I have a large young family and I could imagine this working well for me. I don't think I'd like to do online work exclusively, but having variety is good!

7. David Getling

David Getling Senior commenter

One thing anyone considering online tutoring should take into account is the quality, or lack thereof, of their internet provider. I'm with Virgin Media and I find that my service hangs for a minute or so every few hours. I imagine this is due to greedy Branson taking on more customers than he has the computer power to handle. If I were tutoring online I shudder to think of the damage that this would do to my business.

8. doctoryes

doctoryes Occasional commenter

I agree that the quality of internet connection is important for on-line tutoring - both for the tutor and the tutee. However virgin media, although still using the virgin brand name are no longer owned by Mr. Branson. They were bought by another company in 2013.

sabrinakat likes this.
  9. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Don't forget to paste your client lists, everyone.

10. I haven't found internet connection to be much of an issue on services like Skype etc. - the biggest hurdle I've found is the lack of a whiteboard!

11. Jingye

Jingye New commenter

I was helping an experienced English tutor deliver online group lessons.

We both are very delight to see her from 50% reluctant computer user to fluently in using the software, engaging students and all the rest of it. We also mark student homework over PDF files they submitted.

Ask my any questions and friendly discussion welcome.

My view is online tuition is the future. We have students from England, Emirate and China. And my teacher is thinking stay in Grand Canaries for winter months while teaching them all the same.

Re whiteboard - we use screen sharing so tutor can type and share anything she is seeing on screen.

(I am a parent)

12. thesmoothgroove

thesmoothgroove New commenter

Hi Katia can you drop me a line I would like to talk to you more to find out what the experience is like

13. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

If you're plan to deliver scripts then you are not planning to tutor. Get a job in a call centre. More reliable work and less admin for you, parents won't be cheated and children will actually learn.

14. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

Pre written? Is this like kumon and that kind of thing? I'm amazed that parents pay for that kind of thing

15. Jopop41

Jopop41 New commenter

I've recently done a course with
    [This comment/section/image has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions] and set up my own tutoring agency which I'm now doing full time. Course wasn't expensive but it's got me out the profession and I can choose when and how I work. I would definitely recommend it.