1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Tutoring

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Viers, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Hello everyone,

I need a good online tutor. Recently I found two tutoring sites (http://www.tutorsville.net/ and http://www.tutor.com/) and would like to ask you which of them is better to use. Maybe someone used them before and would like to share the experience with me?

2. langteacher

langteacher Occasional commenter

What subject are you looking for?

3. A real person makes a bigger impact - employ a proper tutor and get certain results.

4. I haven't used either of these. I use LessonPark.com as i always get good leads from students registered there (although I live in Rome so don't know if that's a factor). In my view, register for as many sites as possible and see what contacts you get...

5. According to me online tutoring is a very good option for us like students who do job simultanously we do studies. online tutoring is 24 hours service, we can contact with them anytime, as acropolismentors is a online tutoring site.

6. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I've found online tutoring just as effective as face-to-face - I've tutored students in Europe and the Middle East as well as all over the UK. I email lesson notes/marked work in advance which seems to work well, and I dont use any agencies - I just promote myself via my website and online advertising e.g. gumtree.

7. Hello

Am in the process of thinking about on line tutoring and wondered if you had any other tips about self promotion, how much you charge and basically how to get started.

8. We also have our online website where you can find online tutoring services. You can also try it to learn any subject just sitting at your home at free of cost.

TutorIndia.net

9. David Getling

David Getling Lead commenter

Agree, totally. Otherwise, save your money and just get your nose stuck into some books or a site like the Khan Academy.

10. Hi Babymungo,

I have been teaching ESL online since 2008 and I believe it is a wonderful career.

You mentioned that you are in the process of "thinking" about teaching online. It sounds like you need/want to read more information on what the career is like and how it actually works. There are many differences between working online and offline. You will learn a great deal once you start tutoring online, but before you decide to take a leap and go for it I have some suggestions for you.

First of all, ask yourself some questions. Do you mind working "alone", sitting at your computer, and working with technology? If any of those makes you cringe then online tutoring might not be the best career for you. I say "alone" because the reality of teaching online is that you will be sitting in front of your computer/webcam and speaking with someone that isn't in the same room with you.

That being said, you WILL connect with your students and form amazing relationships with them. Do not be fooled. You CAN form relationships with people, even if you are teaching them over the web. Also, the flexibility and no commute is another great positive.

Next, does technology scare you? If it does then you might want to reconsider. I conciser myself a techno nerd and love working with computers and software. Exploring different webinar platforms and trying new hardware (mics and webcams) is fun for me.

As for self promotion, I believe the best way is with a powerful, informative, useful website. If you create unique and interesting articles and information (audio, video etc) that helps your future students, you will be able to pre-sell them and grain their trust so that they sign up for your classes.

As for prices, it really doesn't matter what I charge. What you need to do is figure out what you are worth. You can do a Google search of the "going rate" for your subject and area, but remember that online removes the geographical limitations that in home tutors suffer.

So, what is my experience with teaching online?

I love teaching and tutoring online. I started as a face-to-face teacher but I moved online in 2009. With my experience, I decided to start a new website, http://www.online-tutoring-success.com

I am continuously adding new articles and tips, in the hopes that I can help other aspiring online tutors (like you) get started. If you get a chance to look at my website, I'd appreciate any feedback. What would you appreciate me adding? What works? What doesn't etc

I wish you all the best with online teaching and feel free to ask me any more questions you have. I'd be more than happy to help.

Diana

11. Ravena,

I totally agree with you. I believe that online tutoring is just as effective as in person classes. In some cases I believe it is better.

I have been teaching online for the past 4 years and although I do enjoy teaching in person (from time to time) I have become very comfortable teaching online.

Could I ask you more about your experience setting up your own business and avoiding the use of an agency? Many online tutors believe that they "can't do it alone" and I disagree. Although there are benefits to working for an agency I believe that freelancing is a good option as well.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Diana