1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online tutoring - where to start?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by JanE60, Sep 17, 2020.

1. JanE60

JanE60 New commenter

There are so many different agencies online, I wonder if anyone can give unbiased opinion of any? I want to tutor through an agency to help with payments and equipment. One I'm considering takes 25% of earnings. Is this typical (some are quiet/hide their cut)? Any nuggets of advice welcome!

2. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Yes 25% is fairly typical. There are still a couple of tutoring websites where the client just pays the website a finder's fee and then pays the tutor directly with no commission. You can then tutor online using something like Zoom. It sounds as if that's not what you want, so you'll probably have to pay around 25% if you want the agency to collect payment.

Happyregardless likes this.
  3. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

Yes, sometimes you feel like a mug with the commission side of things but you also have to weigh up the stream of leads you get for new tutees versus. If someone has their own site and can do it without the commission that's always better, but then just personally have foundmore traffic through the platform.

4. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

The site that now takes 25% (TF*L) used to only take around 7-15%, then since covid they raised it to a whopping 20-25%! I know because I used to be with them & then & I was on the lowest rate as I been with them a while, but I decided to walk after their massive commission hike.

Generally I feel much better without the hassle and I've found more tutee's flying solo, but it's a matter of personal preference whether you go it alone or through a online site/agency.

5. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

You might want to contact me, if you are a qualified teacher with experience in English, maths or science, across KS 2, 3 & 4. No commission. High rates & steady, online stream of students. Lots of technological support given.

Teabagkarma and Mrsmumbles like this.
  6. sue_farmer_library

sue_farmer_library New commenter

Interested

7. Teabagkarma

Teabagkarma New commenter

I would be inerested

ianrobo@gmail.com

8. Thorntonsj

Thorntonsj New commenter

Hi Sue & Ian,

Please see your 'conversations,' for more information.

Kind regards, Sarah.