1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online tutoring: collaborating on documents in real time.

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by CabbageWhite20, Aug 7, 2020.

1. CabbageWhite20

CabbageWhite20 Occasional commenter

What software do you use?

In school I use Microsoft Teams where I can have a video call and the pupil I am working with and I can simultaneously edit a document in real time.

I’d hoped to replicate this outside school in Zoom by giving pupils control, but it turns out they then write on my screen rather than within Word or OneNote or whatever.

I’m now thinking of using Google Meets and giving them permission to share a document. Is this a good idea or does anyone have any better suggestions?

I’m hoping to watch their writing appear on screen in real time then edit it with them.

Thank you for your help.

2. colacao17

colacao17 Lead commenter

I'm not entirely sure of the question - is there a reason you can't use Zoom for the face to face and at the same time google for document sharing?

Also have a look at classkick. My school paid up for it towards the end of term - you can give a student a doc (can be a pdf or word import if you like) and you can watch them work live on it - you can also edit it yourself.

I can't remember if there's a free version but there's a monthly rate for individual teachers which personally i think would be well worthwhile either for tutoring or if remote learning continues.

3. CabbageWhite20

Thank you so much. I could use Zoom and Google but it seems easiest to keep it all in one platform, and I *think* it might be possible to include a link to the document I want us to collaborate on directly in the meeting, not sure about that though.

Thanks for the info about Classkick. I’ll have a look.

4. alsoamum

alsoamum Occasional commenter

Bit paper does this. It's a collaborative whiteboard and very reasonably priced. One free bit paper a month (100 pages) on the student account. You can buy various packages or just buy bitpapers as you need them for around 20 pence.

You can use it for calls and whiteboard but I use Zoom for the video and audio while screen sharing a Bit paper. You can both write on it like a shared work book.

If you look on their FB page there are loads of videos and examples.

5. CabbageWhite20

Thank you! I will have a look.

6. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I use OneNote, the student can edit it. Then I get them to share their screen.

7. SteveyP

SteveyP New commenter

I use zoom with the video either on or off and One Note to put the work on. If you share the notes we can both write on any worksheet I've snipped in. We use powerpoints either in full on my screen or slides copied into One Note. It's been working well so far. Each pupil has their own section which can be accessed by them outside of lessons.
    Some supply agencies also use Bramble which seems similar but in one package.