1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online tutoring advice

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by M0nk3yM00, May 3, 2016.

1. M0nk3yM00

M0nk3yM00 New commenter

Dear All,

I left my teaching job a little while ago (NOT to become a tutor i might add), and have found i've really been enjoying tutoring. I'm keen to get involved in the online tutoring scene and was wondering if anyone had any advice about how to go about this? E.g. where is the best place to start in terms of sites? Or should I attempt to do it on my own?

2. cwilson1983

cwilson1983 Occasional commenter

As a member of several tuition websites, which can help to get your profile advertised, they often provide a section where you can offer online.

Similarly, if using your own website, social media or paid advertisement websites such as Gumtree, you can state this.

In the past I've used Skype for discussion based learning.

I currently email tasks/homework feedback to students and with organistion (from both ends) find this can work.

I'm also exploring the potential of quizlet.com. I use it in school and once we have a paid subscription, I want to see if the student tracking service (for completing homework and providing information on what they did well/got wrong) is beneficial. If it is I may incorporate this as an online tool.for both online and offline tutees.

3. studentlanceusa

studentlanceusa New commenter

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2016
  4. stupot101

stupot101 Established commenter

Beware of 'webinars' helping you to become an online teacher - with the catch of joining a 'special Facebook group' at a special discount one off membership price.

5. montybrown

montybrown New commenter

6. thekizzaa

thekizzaa New commenter

I'm out.

7. sabram86

sabram86 Occasional commenter

I do a mixture of online and face-to-face tutoring and it really is not a binary decision. You can use both. I used the summer to get to know some tutees and, with most of them, I tutor them online. One or two needed convincing but they appreciated the lower price and greater convenience I could offer. One asked me to see his son face-to-face once a month, but it's something I'm more than willing to accommodate. It also takes some of the tiredness out of tutoring, making you more productive. Just mention to potential tutees you do it and they may well suggest it.

8. cristounette

cristounette New commenter

Nearly retired, I would like to teach French online . I am a complete beginner (Not too good with technology) Where do you start ? How ? Are there any courses which helps us to learn with the technical side of teaching ? which books are suitable ? Where do you find your students ?

9. cristounette

cristounette New commenter