1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online tuition?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Bethbee100, Sep 15, 2020.

1. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

Hi, just looking for a bit of advice. I’m thinking of starting to tutor again as I’m not sure what is going to happen with supply this year. I’m not sure if I even want to go back in to schools with the whole covid situation.
    I don’t fancy going in to people’s houses at the moment which is why I’d like to try online tuition. I’m primary so I’d be tutoring 7 to 11 year olds. I would usually use text books, games and whiteboards.
    For those of you who already do this I have some questions, if you don’t mind me asking?

1. What platform do you use, eg zoom?
    2. Where do you find your students, Am thinking TH?
    3. How do you set up payment, is it through websites such as TH or directly to your bank account?
    4. Do you type up lessons/ documents to share during lesson or does the student use pen and paper and text books?

Thanks in advance.

2. suzette

suzette Occasional commenter

Hi Bethbee 100,

I think the reason why no one has responded to your post is because on the Private Tutors forum, is that there are so many 'newcomers' to the forum like yourself asking the same question and there are so, many tutors that have answered the same question you have asked. If you have a read of a few of them that mention the best info surrounding online tutoring etc, I think you may get your answer. I hope this helps. :)

Bethbee100 and cwilson1983 like this.
  3. sue_farmer_library

sue_farmer_library New commenter

Skype is probably the easiest...younger tutees might find a purchased workbook easier...u could have the same book...Tutorh are ok, but unless you deliver said book...ie if you use their online whiteboard they will take a commission. The minute you open any other internet link the TH whiteboard goes.
    Payment...bank transfer (create a new acc that isnt your own current acc for parents to pay into) Paypal invoice (they take a small payment off your incomings)
    Students can send you copies of their work by email for you to mark, documents or photos. Most ordinary parents are feeling the squeeze money wise so there are fewer tutees.

Bethbee100 likes this.
  4. Bethbee100

Bethbee100 New commenter

Hi Sue,

Very useful information. You’ve given me a few things to think about.
    Thank you. Just need to familiarise myself with Skype and PayPal now.

5. sue_farmer_library

sue_farmer_library New commenter

Skype is simple from an android tablet (three do one with 2Gb that will work with wifi for about £11 month...then just download the Skype app from google play and set it up with an email...just careful your tutees give you their skyoe id searching and guessing doesnt work.

Bethbee100 likes this.