1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Tuition

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by microbiology, Sep 2, 2019.

1. briancant

briancant Occasional commenter

On the subject of recording sessions. I would think it could be sensible to do that yourself and place them on youtube. It would be a good way to advertise.

There are a lot of very good lessons out there anyway. I particularly like mindyourdecisions with Presh Talwalkar. He presents some really good maths problems, ideal for A level students. If anyone has seen his videos and knows what software he uses to create them I would be interested because I think it would be a good way to present online lessons.

2. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Anyone use headphones microphones instead of just the speaker and microphone in the camera?

3. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

Yes, it works better - clearer sound.

4. microbiology

microbiology New commenter

Which one do yohyuse pls?

5. WB

WB Lead commenter

I can't get out to buy I headset tight now!

6. shakes1616

shakes1616 Established commenter

I bought a sennheiser headset online and it's v good

7. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I've used Zoom as back up when useless Tutoring company can't get their act together and upgrade their online platform so it actually works lol

8. Lespaul101

Lespaul101 New commenter

I use FaceTime and Skype with a physical whiteboard that students can see and it works fine. I email work for parents to print out so we both have the work in-front of us. I’ve also posted exercise books and workbooks plus for some who can’t print I’ve photocopied and posted work. So far it’s going well.

Happyregardless likes this.
  9. Happyregardless

Happyregardless Occasional commenter

I'd be hesitant to recommend my tutoring platform at present as their online platform does work but has had a lot of techy glitches before now and they SAY they are in the process of upgrading.
    To be fair they have allowed tutors to use other platforms,among which 'Zoom' is the best that I've used so far. When you email for any support they do answer relatively quickly and you do get paid from them, but if you raise any issues like "Why am I being penalised for lots of people contacting me, when I've no availability and had to turn them down" (booking score) - or (response rubric) why am I penalised if parents contact me at 'silly o'clock' ( I've had parents contact me gone 11.30pm?!) so you're sleeping and you can't answer until the following day. They also have a considerably narcissitic reply format - as in nothing is EVER their fault - always the fault of the tutor! I think it's so you give up contacting them? I have a vision of these office types sitting around eating donuts on computers, rubbing their hands as they cream their commission of off your teaching rate and then swatting back general enquries or 'daring' to criticise the automated system with projected blame....

Why am I still working for them? Well in others area they are okay and I have had loads of enquiries. Also I worked for them before being 'furloughed' as a supply teacher and one clause in the agreement from one supply agency was that you don't work for 'a new company' but can work for companies you previously were working with before furlough.

As for rate - I lowered mine from £25 per hour to £15 for a few weeks to help parents but them thought blimey, after commission which is about £4 off this I was earning about a tenner an hour so thought okay I want to help but I also have to survive too! so have put back to £20 - was expected a backlash as lowered and then gone up, yet not still to full rate but has been okay so far ( only 1 or 2 days)

10. Hi,

I'm new to this forum and find it way awesome. One of my student was preparing for his Olevel exams but couldn't understand in online study. I really hope this pandemic may end soon.
    Regards,
    Umair Hussain from 8technologist

11. ruivascoma

ruivascoma New commenter

I'm also looking for free tuition sites. Can you name a few?

12. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi Guys,
    I thought I would update on my evolving online tuition set up in the hopes it may help others. I have decided to invest in a graphics tablet which is coming tomorrow. I also saw a video on youtube explaining how to use OneNote. So I am going to try and use that as when students come to me I insist they have a notebook and I help them clearly write down examples and notes, this is only usually 5/10 mins per lesson but I am finding that students aren't writing down as much now its online. So my plan is to have a notebook per student and share it with them so they can add to it. This is the video incase anyone is interested