1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online tuition?

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by Ravena, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Does anyone offer online tuition through Skype? And if so, do you use Paypal or wait for cheques in the post? Do you charge less for online tuition than face-to-face?
    I am considering this as a way to increase business and would be interested to hear about the pros and cons.
    Thanks,
    Ravena

2. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

Does anyone offer online tuition through Skype? And if so, do you use Paypal or wait for cheques in the post? Do you charge less for online tuition than face-to-face?
    I am considering this as a way to increase business and would be interested to hear about the pros and cons.
    Thanks,
    Ravena

3. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Have thought about it. Would be interested in joining other teachers to form a group to do it, that way we could offer many subjects and an assurance of quality tuition.

4. Ravena

Ravena New commenter

I've done my first online lesson now. A lot of preparation to set up paypal, webcam, Skype etc but once that was sorted it was quite easy. I'm registered as self-employed so I will have to pay tax (and Paypal take a cut, too) but you can claim back a small portion of electric and internet bills against the tax bill. Plus no travelling time/petrol costs!
    I'm not sure if it could work as a group set up because, as hhhh says, of liability issues (if we all promote each other's teaching, are we all liable?) and also taking payments etc. My website makes it clear that Paypal lessons are non-refundable and I also make it clear that I can't guarantee any specific grades, but liability is always going to be a potential issue.

5. I have been teaching online for a couple of years using Skype. I am not sure what you mean by liability and tax. I understand that you may want to take out insurance if you teach at home, in case somebody falls over and breaks a leg, and they try to sue you, but I don´t really see that as an issue specially on Skype, are they going to be so bored that fall asleep and hit their head on the keyboard? On the other hand, you have to pay tax anyway even if you teach in your sitting room. Okay, I am sure it´s easier to take cash than paypal, but if you are determined not to pay tax you are going to do it whether you take cash or paypal. The taxman is too busy catching bigger fish, I am sure they won´t bother about you.
    Skype is very easy to use. However, in my experience you can´t teach everybody with Skype, some people are just not that computer-friendly. The advantage is that you can teach all over the world, use paypal for foreign students and you normal bank account for domestic ones. There are already lots and lots of websites offering tuition through Skype and other platforms. Tutors offering Skype lessons will have a website so you can find them with a google search.

6. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

They can (try to) sue if their children fail, you can be reported to GTC (or whatever replaced it). So yes, liability issues do exist for anyone trying to set up a tutoring business even if you are never in the same room as the child. So whatever type of tutoring you do, I'm afraid you have to be aware of these things in the 21st century.

7. Ravena,
    Skype is fine, but try wizIQ. There is a free version which is quite good. If you wanted to turn it into a business, you might upgrade to a paid version - still not too expensive.
    I have not used it for private tuition but for some of my lessons in school. Also during the "Ash" time when I was stuck abroad. Students loved it.
    Provides webcam and chat options and many more teaching specific options.
    Really good

Dijana

8. Concerning online tuition, if you teach literacy skills to pupils in the age range 9 to 14, you might find the resources at www.schoolwork.bz useful. The access code is ure132ty

Hope this helps!
    Eddie Carron

9. Getting paid for online tuition is a problem, and skype isnt that well received amongst children for tutoring in our experience.

You might want to check out tutorhub.com. It's a UK based online tutoring platform that: collects the cash from parents and provides a communication channel (via instant messaging).

There are plenty of pro's and con's of course, which we have set out in these blog posts

http://blog.tutorhub.com/2011/01/12/online-learning-the-pros/
    http://blog.tutorhub.com/2011/02/04/online-tutoring-the-cons/

Hope this helps

Jon (Co-Founder of Tutorhub)