1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Tuition Advice - CORONA EDITION -

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by privatetutor86, Mar 19, 2020.

1. privatetutor86

privatetutor86 New commenter

Question: Who currently tutors remotely (online)?

What's your set-up ? (hardware: webcam / microphone / interactive tablet) (software: interactive file sharing programme)

What does an average lesson look like?

What are the limitations to tutoring via camera and microphone?

What tips can you offer us all?

We're all going to have to adapt to these dramatic changes. Let's pool our experience and help each other get with the times and try to help meet the (inevitably huge) forthcoming demand for online tuition this year.

lancsHOD and lynden7 like this.
  2. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Sorry I can't offer any help as I've not done online tuition before and never wanted to. However it seems we will be forced into trying to do this.

I wondered if anyone has done online with TH. If so did you get many students? Is their interactive whiteboard useful?

3. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

Hi all,
    I have done two online lessons in the last 2 days and I have one more booked in shortly.
    I am using a laptop, built it camera and microphone and using Zoom to do the lessons. They have a built in whiteboard and you can share your screen which you can both write on.
    I also have a little whiteboard I hold up to the camera to write on.
    The hardest things are:
    - not really being able to see the students work. How they are setting out questions.
    - not really being able to do fractions, powers, pi e.c.t. easily on the shared screen.
    -not being able to use textbooks.
    -some topics like drawing graphs or transformation will be harder.

This could be solved with a visualizer and students having a whiteboard.

lynden7 likes this.
  4. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Thanks. Someone else has suggested Zoom. Do you know if it has advantages over Skype?

5. bramblesarah

bramblesarah Occasional commenter

I personally just prefer it. I couldn't get the screen share to work in Skype. My husband knows alot about computers/computer programmes and he is impressed with how it works. If you know someone else with a computer (family member/ friend) do a test run with them and see which you like better. I honestly don't know enough say it is definitely better than Skype. It is just my preference.

6. lynden7

lynden7 New commenter

I've used both to teach. Zoom is more stable. It also has a feature where you can control whether other participants talk or not! Useful so if you have several participants they don't all talk at once. It also has lots of video tutorials etc on its website so it's easy to find out about.
    Skype screen share is SLOW. You have to click on the share screen icon, then on a page that offers share screen options, then choose the file etc you are sharing. It takes a while. I used to keep clicking thinking it wasn't loading, then getting no-where.
    The advantage of Skype is that people are more likely to already be handy with it.

Mrsmumbles likes this.
  7. gainly

gainly Lead commenter

Thank you I'm going to give Zoom a go although I'm not hopeful of keeping many clients. Year 11 and 13 not likely to want lessons with no exams.

bramblesarah likes this.
  8. Mrsmumbles

Mrsmumbles Star commenter

Zoom has the whiteboard you can upload pics from Photos onto, writenon, annotate and so on. Apparently One version of Skype has similar but I have never seen it. Then again, for MFL, Skype is nice as you can have several on one call. I think you have to pay Zoom to get this.
    AND: there is now a new Google Duo one, plus WhatsApp. i like Zoom and it works great with ipads. You can see your meeting attendee, just press your camera icon.

9. Mrsmumbles

I shall now demonstrate what little Jem, one of my year sevens, did on Zoom last Monday. Even more impressive was she write this with her finger! We had been doing Jekyll and Hyde.She likes the gothic stuff, does Jem! F38A1B22-1FFC-4462-A8A3-ABE802CB0094.jpeg

lynden7 likes this.
  10. Mrsmumbles

And: A5FC490E-2E58-49DC-8713-FED4EE8A3F5F.jpeg

lynden7 likes this.
  11. Mrsmumbles

The other thing is whether or not you can handle role reversal. This applies to all teachers over 45. Basically, a littllun showing you how the tech works. It’s fine. A quid pro quo. They glean from us, we from them. All millennial teachers, stop your sniggering at the back. ‘twill be you, one day!
    basically, I found it all went wrong in various ways for about a week, but then you get the hang of it and it somehow works.

lynden7 likes this.
  12. Joseph.John

Joseph.John New commenter

Hi Everyone
    I have just started doing online lessons since the Covid-19 Lockdown. Most of my students packed up after hearing that they didn't have to take Exams. I am using Liveboard at the moment with my students but I am also testing out a different free online whiteboard as a backup I can't remember the name at the moment.

I was interested to hear about Zoom and I might try that too. The main problem I have at the moment is getting new online students amidst the lockdown. I am signed up with TH for the online lessons but have not had any success getting new students. Does anybody know of some other good websites where I might get more students ? Also does anyone know of any websites where I could get international students ? Also can people comment on how the lockdown has impacted their lessons etc. Feedback please, I look forward to some replies.

Thanks