1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online teaching during closure

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by malagawolf, Mar 17, 2020.

1. malagawolf

malagawolf New commenter

Hi to all of you out there who are now in a lockdown situation as we are here in Spain. My school is looking at online teaching from home... our secondary school is using google chat and google classroom. But I would like to know what people are using in primary schools.. as obviously the children are much younger. We are looking at google meet but connection tends to jump around a bit...what are you all using... either successfully or not so. Thank you.

2. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

my place uses classdojo and zoom

3. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter

We're using Teams. My children's school is using Class Dojo and email.

4. mollymillions

mollymillions New commenter

My school is using Seesaw, it's been pretty good so far

5. Bentley89

Bentley89 Occasional commenter

Google Classroom and Zoom at our school. Internet seems to be failing us all though!

6. amariB

amariB New commenter

We are using Seesaw in Years 1 -3 and google Classroom from 4 up as they have their own devices from year 4. Seesaw has been working well for the younger ones, they are already familiar with how to use it from school. Of course some parents aren’t happy with them being on their ipads all day, but we had very little notice so were not able to send work packs home (and who wants to be doing worksheets indefinitely?)

7. your can teach maths at home. Try this website maths worksheets. They are offering 100% maths worksheets due to outbreak situation. Good initiative.

8. malagawolf

malagawolf New commenter

We began sending workpacks home and parents complained and said as they were paying they expect us to be teaching...they haven't got time to be with their children and they are not their teachers!!

9. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

We use seesaw here as well. I'm secondary so I have no idea what it is or how useful...

10. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

it's a very basic version of google drive Mike. great for primary, useless for secondary.

Bentley89 and miketribe like this.
  11. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

Thanks...

12. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

I tried to set-up Periscope, but in a very religious community some parents have objected to the content from other streamers using the service. periscope does not allow adult content, but there will always be some users creating inappropriate content in the eyes of some parents.
    Zoom seems expensive if you want to have broadcasts saved for later use, at $13.99 per month per user, unless you're a high fee school.

13. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

Zoom is free, you can record your sessions for free. Have been using it for weeks.

14. normannobody2018

normannobody2018 New commenter

UPDATE:
    We have been using Microsoft's free education office system since September. Yesterday I discovered Microsoft Teams! There's an option to integrate Zoom with Teams as an add-on and we trialed it today.
    Everyone with a school account and an invite was able to join the meeting and there was not the usual restrictions. Copies of the recording was created by microsoft and shared through Microsoft.
    Therefore, I strongly recommend everyone gets Microsoft education accounts!
    We're now creating MS Teams for each year group and will begin online lessons tomorrow.

15. MayaJones

MayaJones New commenter

Work put on Managebac (IB)
    Meet kids on Microsoft Teams and share screens to discuss work