1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online Teaching Assistant Qualification

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by mypage101, Sep 24, 2020.

1. mypage101

mypage101 New commenter

Hi,
    I was previously helped on here with deciding whether to do a teaching assistant course or apprenticeship etc. After a lot of research and enquiries, I managed to secure a place on a course at a local college. However, during the current situation and because I didn’t feel their social distancing measures etc sounded great, I have decided to do it online instead. So I now need to try and find out what online teaching assistant qualifications are accepted in Birmingham schools which is proving quite difficult! Does anybody know of the generally accepted online Teaching Assistant courses that there are!? I would be very grateful as I seem to be going round in circles! :) Many thanks x

2. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Hi @mypage101, I'm sorry you've had to pull out of the course at your local college. It's a very difficult situation we all find ourselves in. I'm surprised the college were continuing with a face-to-face course; I think most are changing things so that the vast majority of studies can be done at home, online. I assume that wasn't the case with the course you had enrolled on? Did you talk to the college and explain your worries and ask if they had any suggestions? Would be worth a try.

I have no personal experience of on-line TA courses, but have heard many negative reports. You are right to be trying to find out which qualifications will be accepted in your LA. I've heard good reports from Stonebridge College. Make sure the course you choose is CACHE accredited. If you search these forums, you will find many threads on this subject and might find some helpful information.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

3. mypage101

mypage101 New commenter

Thanks very much for your reply-I know I was surprised too and was really hoping they would say it was online! Crazy! Thanks for your suggestions though, I will look into those names you’ve mentioned and also have a scout around on here! Thanks again xx

sunshineneeded likes this.
  4. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

The problem is that unless you get experience in a school as part of your course then you are unlikely to get a job. Therefore, by definition a course cannot be completely online if it is to be worthwhile. There are a lot of courses that are completely online but unless you are also getting regular experience in a classroom then many employers and providers of extension courses will see it as pointless.

Trekkie and sunshineneeded like this.