1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

online teaching anyone with experience?

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by tonymars, Oct 13, 2020.

1. tonymars

tonymars Established commenter

An agency mentioned this me recently. My own plus 2 other subjects. 1 or 2 students at a time from a PRU. £20 an hour, 12 hours a week. All materials provided, students work form workbooks. School also says:

..."build a quick trusting relationship and hold pupils to account on workload. Pupil progress will be monitored and tracked from school SLT"

I've never done anything like this before. Zoom interview with the boss of the school later.

Any advice / comments please.

2. historygrump

historygrump Star commenter Forum guide

Tonymars, I wish I could help, but I am the original technophobe.

Is there not any online videos you can watch, I presume you have to use Zoom, but how do you give examples is the question. I would suggest that you online as mentioned for guidance or perhaps Peakster can give advice.

3. tonymars

Thanks for the reply historygrump. I had started doing some research this afternoon. At the zoom interview, however, as I was still trying to switch on what I had just learned was a camera, yer man the boss decided he had seen enough as if I can't work the computer I can't to the job.

Hey ho. another example of people assuming you know the latest technology. Motivating a PRU pupil on line would clearly have been an issue. And yer man looked like a bit of a **** .

Still It is worth finding out about remote teaching. And tutoring. As I can't believe a word the govt says about covid, I can't see myself going back to classroom teaching any time soon.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

There's lots of great things about online teaching, besides the fact it won't cause your death or anyone else's. Do some research on Teams, Meet etc to see which you like.

tonymars likes this.
  5. 1cherries

1cherries New commenter

Thats hilarious TM.
    Luddirtes of the world unite!
    Lets go back to the backboard
    More chalk and talk!
    Let the Hunger Games begin!

tonymars likes this.
  6. tonymars

I hated blackboards and was never a chalk and talk bunny but I haven't yet got up to speed with remote teaching.

7. tonymars

Also even tho I have no direct experience of working in PRUs, I have heard that getting pupils there to do anything at all, even follow simple instructions, was a major achievement, far less holding them to account for their workload.

And isn't it the case that if you are the boss and owner of a private PRU it is a licence to print money?

8. elder_cat

elder_cat Lead commenter

Although I believe it's possible to build a trusting relationship with pupils in a PRU, I would have reservations about being able to do it as quickly as they seem to think it can be done? Surely it's a case of "softly, softly, catchee monkey"?

How can you hold pupils accountable for their workload, if they no longer see themselves as part of (and therefore not subject to the expectations and rules associated with membership of) the system? Clearly, different pupils will be in the PRU for different reasons, but I suspect in many cases it's because they've stuck two fingers up to mainstream education.

tonymars likes this.