1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online TA course

Discussion in 'Personal' started by valencia, Jun 5, 2020.

1. valencia

valencia Occasional commenter

Hi I am an HLTA and my daughter is interested in doing on online TA course (she has no previous experience) Can anyone please recommend one? Thanks in advance (Also posted in TA thread)

2. nomad

nomad Star commenter

3. valencia

Thanks Nomad

nomad likes this.
  4. Wotton

Wotton Lead commenter

Be careful as many TA online courses are not recognised by schools. If it has to be online make sure it is cache recognised and includes sessions working in schools.
    This has been discussed on the TA forum, I know the search facilities on here are not easy to follow, but you could ask again on that forum.

5. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Wootton is right, the qualifications offered by many online TA courses are not recognised by LAs. Definitely look for a CACHE accredited course.

Many LAs now offer TA apprenticeships. I'm a HLTA and part of my role is to mentor our apprentices. We've had three in the past two years. They work for four days a week in school and attend college for the other day, and receive a salary while they're training. At the end of their 13 month apprenticeship, they should receive a level 2 qualification. Two of ours did this; one decided the role wasn't right and left midway through. Both of those that passed were offered permanent jobs at our school and one chose to go straight on to a second apprenticeship to work towards level 3.
    I think it's an excellent scheme - give your LA a call and enquire.
    Wishing your daughter good luck.

6. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Oh that sort of TA:rolleyes:

I had thought
    Screenshot_20200605-205201-01.jpeg

Attached Files:

7. valencia

Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated, she was thinking of just doing a distant learning course, mainly because of the current situation of schools being in, and not being able to access school for a placement.