1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

Online TA course

Discussion in 'Teaching assistants' started by valencia, Jun 5, 2020.

  1. valencia

    valencia Occasional commenter

    Hi I am an HLTA and my daughter is interested in doing on online TA course (she has no previous experience) Can anyone please recommend on? Thanks in advance
    lau_bellagamba likes this.
  2. lau_bellagamba

    lau_bellagamba New commenter

    Hi Valencia!

    I cannot answer your question but I am actually interested in a HLTA course. I am also interested in your question. :)
  3. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    Hi @valencia and @lau_bellagamba. You will find lots of threads on here about online courses - I have no personal experience of them, but wouldn't normally recommend them as I've read and know of many people who have had bad experiences. These are mainly with a lack of support through the course, and - more significantly - finding out that the qualifications they offer are not recognised by local authorities. I have often been involved in interviewing and employing new TAs; we have come across qualifications we've never heard of and found them very difficult to check up on. Sadly, that rarely ends with a job offer. I would always recommend a face-to-face college course with a school placement if at all possible (however, that's not easy at the moment)!

    If you do need to go down the on-line route for a TA course, do your research very carefully. Make sure the course is CACHE accredited. You could also give your local authority a call before enrolling and check that they would recognise the qualification awarded. I have seen good reports about Stonebridge College, might be one to take a look at.

    As for HLTA status - the only way to achieve that at the moment is via the 3 day preparation for assessment course and a half day assessment in school from a registered assessor. The HLTA National Assessment Partnership (hlta.org.uk) has all the details you will need. You also need to be currently employed as a TA and have the support of your Head Teacher. The various on-line courses on offer may give you some useful theory and knowledge, but they can't actually award you the status.

    These are very difficult times to be trying to move forwards with your career, but things will change - and it's good to be thinking about where you'd like to go. Best of luck to both of you.
    lau_bellagamba likes this.
  4. lau_bellagamba

    lau_bellagamba New commenter

    Thank you for your insight! Much appreciated. :)
    I had a look at some CACHE qualifications and indeed you need to have a placement in a school already :(
    Other than that, I was wondering if the CELTA could count in any way as experience in teaching and support? Yes it is a different qualification, but it still involves teaching and classroom management, preparation, etc.

    Thank you again!
  5. sunshineneeded

    sunshineneeded Star commenter

    CELTA doesn't replace a TA qualification, but I would definitely be mentioning it in an application. If you have worked teaching English to adults, it is evidence of experience in the classroom and lesson planning,etc. It certainly won't do any harm! Best of luck.
    lau_bellagamba likes this.
  6. lau_bellagamba

    lau_bellagamba New commenter

    Thank you again for your help!
    You take care. :)

Share This Page