1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Online reporting

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by GaryH2UK, Jul 25, 2007.

1. GaryH2UK

GaryH2UK New commenter

What do people use to write reports? I'm partuclarly interested in a system that can be used online i.e. staff can do from home if they so wish.

Any Suggestions

Thanks

GaryH

2. GaryH2UK

GaryH2UK New commenter

What do people use to write reports? I'm partuclarly interested in a system that can be used online i.e. staff can do from home if they so wish.

Any Suggestions

Thanks

GaryH

3. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

We currently use a web-based on-line that I created myself. It's ASP-based and can be used from anywhere, but as our hosting company hasn't installed any ASP spelling-checker programs, the downside is that spelling can't be checked on-line (unless you use Firefox with the in-line spelling checker option installed), but I can check the spelling off-line in the database once the reports are completed. Senior staff can also correct subject teachers' comments.

The first incarnation of this system used Access forms, and could therefore check spelling as reports were entered. There were also "import" and "export" facilies and an application that I wrote in VB5 that allowed staff to write reports at home (without having Access installed) and bring them back to school.

It's not that difficult to run-up a system in Access if you can teach it to A-level - SMT gave me some extra time off timetable to create the original system.

4. JaquesJaquesLiverot

JaquesJaquesLiverot Established commenter

I meant "a web-based on-line system", of course!

5. GaryH2UK

GaryH2UK New commenter

Thanks for the reply JJL.

The school is using an access database at the moment, but people have moved on and nobody is really sure how it works and documentation is lacking hence looking at alternatives.

Trying to find your way through someone elses code can be very time consuming, especially when they seem to have more knowledge than me on the subject.

Regards

GH