1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

Online Portfolios (Mahara) - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by stdavsurfer, Jun 16, 2011.

1. stdavsurfer

stdavsurfer New commenter

I have been testing Claroline as an online learning platform, as I have found Moodle an unwieldy, cumbersome and over-inflated product for what I need - which is a simple learning platform.

I am also looking to install a dedicated portfolio system, (i.e. Mahara), as a way of managing ICT work ,and as a way of showcasing work in the public domain. Initially, I intend to run Mahara on a local host and with my Year 12 group, but then extend that function to a domain host supporting portfolios for GCSE and A Level students. Obviously, my concerns revolve around what data should be made available when it goes live online, and what data should be blocked, and what data can't be blocked. Are there any teachers, out there in the void, currently employing Mahara as an online portfolio tool in an online environment?

I would appreciate your thoughts on this matter.

Thanks!

2. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Hi there, in parts yes we're using Mahara as an online portfolio. All students and staff have access to it and there's no restriction as to who can make views public.
    (We're a UK Secondary School with a Sixth Form)

3. We've been using Mahara for a while. It's a great way for students to complete written work in a chunked and scaffolded fashion. Exporting can be done to plain HTML or LEAP2 for other eportfolio tools. We haven't hidden or disabled anything and students do use it to some extent as a social networking tool. The collaboration and peer-review aspects are really quite powerful once you get the hang of it and, aside from Moodle, it's been one of the biggest revelations we've had in terms of online tools. We can disable access to the site on a per-user basis if needed, but this hasn't been the case in the 4 years or so since we first installed it.

4. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Slightly OT - just installed 1.4.0 as a test bed - looks 10x better AND improved functionality. Might wait 'til Monday before I ask Tech Manager to upgrade.... [​IMG]

5. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

You could always elbow Claroline and just use Mahara?
    Just a thought...